Coconut oats recipe – Healthy savory coconut oats that makes for a quick Breakfast or evening snack. If you love eating oats then this coconut oats is a must try. This rolled oats recipe will yield you delicious breakfast with out making the oats mushy or sticky. It just takes about 15 mins to prepare and needs only a few basic ingredients.
Grated coconut, curry leaves, ginger, lemon juice, coriander leaves and green chilies are the much essential ingredients which elevate the taste and flavor of the coconut oats. This recipe needs no chopping or blending so that saves time.
Coconut oats can be eaten without any side but I usually prefer a bowl of curd. Fresh grated coconut tastes best but you can also use frozen coconut.
Please note that this recipe doesn’t work with instant or quick cook oats. The dish turns out mushy if made with the same.
Coconut oats recipe
Coconut oats recipe under 15 mins | South Indian style coconut oats recipe
South Indian style coconut oats is a simple to make breakfast or snack dish with rolled oats. The recipe just takes 15 mins to make 2 servings. It doesn't need a accompanying side dish. But it can be served with a bowl of plain yogurt.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut fresh grated
- 1½ tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp urad dal or skinned black gram (optional)
- ½ tsp chana dal or bengal gram
- 2 tbsp peanuts or cashews as needed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¾ tsp ginger grated or chopped
- 2 green chilies - slit of chopped
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or as needed
- 2 to 4 cup coriander leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida or hing
How to make the recipe
Rinse rolled oats and drain them in a colander.
Gently fluff up immediately and set aside.
Heat a pan with oil.
Add mustard, cumin , urad dal, chana dal and peanuts.
Fry them until the peanuts are golden.
Then add in hing, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves.
Saute them quickly until the curry leaves turn crisp.
Then pour 2 tbsp water. This will soften the dals slightly.
Add turmeric and salt.
Then add in oats. Gently give a good stir.
On a very low heat cook covered until the oats turn slightly hot. This only takes about 1 to 2 mins.
Turn off the heat. Add coconut and coriander leaves.
Mix well and check salt. If needed add more and sprinkle lemon juice over the salt.
Mix well and serve coconut oats with pickle or yogurt.
Rolled oats are steamed and pressed to flatten them so they can be used without cooking for longer.
Coconut oats recipe – step by step
1. Add rolled oats to a strainer and pour 3 cups water. You can also rinse them under slow running water.
2. Gently shake off and make sure the water has drained completely.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard and cumin.
4. When they begin to sizzle, add in urad dal, chana dal and peanuts or cashews.
5. Fry them on a medium heat until golden.
6. Add fresh grated ginger.
7. Then add curry leaves and green chilies.
8. Saute until crisp. Then add hing, turmeric and salt.
9. Quickly pour 1 to 2 tbsp water. The water evaporates quickly under 1 minute. This will soften the dals.
10. Then add rolled oats. If they turn lumpy, the break the lumps gently with a fork.
11. Give a good stir. Lower the flame completely and cover the pan. Cook just for 1 to 2 mins to heat up the oats. Turn off the stove.
12. Then add coconut.
13. Next sprinkle coriander leaves.
14. Mix well. Taste the oats and add more salt if needed. Then sprinkle lemon juice over the salt. Give a good mix.
Serve coconut oats with plain yogurt.