Oats idli recipe – Learn to make instant oats idli at home with step by step pictures. We do love our fluffy and soft idli and is a staple breakfast on most weekdays. Rava Idli and this oats idli are a stand by when I do not have stock of idli dosa batter but prefer to eat idli.
These oats idli are good if paired with a real good chutney or a tiffin sambar. I have been making oats idli for few years now and have experimented a lot. The recipe shared here is what i have sticked onto.
I make oats idli with both semolina and whole wheat rava or daliya or samba rava. Bombay rava or semolina is a processed food and is good to consume in moderation. If you are trying to avoid refined foods, then i suggest using whole wheat rava instead of semolina.
You can find a picture of oats idli made with whole wheat rava at the end of this post.
Oats idli recipe
Oats idli recipe | How to make instant oats idli | Oatmeal idli
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for oats idli
- 1 cup oats (prefer rolled oats)
- ½ cup rava whole wheat or semolina or sooji)
- ¼ cup curd or dahi or yogurt
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp soda -bicardonate or 1 tsp eno (can reduce 1 to 2 pinches of soda)
- 2 tbsp carrot grated or chopped
- 2 to 4 tbsp water (optional) as needed for consistency
Seasoning / Tadka for oats idli
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tsp urad dal (optional)
- ½ tsp channa dal (optional)
- ½ tsp ginger grated or fine chopped
- 4 Cashews split optional
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 Pinch hing or asafoetida
- 1 green chili chopped
- 6 curry leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
How to make the recipe
Preparation for oats idli
Make a coarse powder of oats. Set this aside.
Heat oil or ghee in a pan.
Add mustard, cumin and dals. When the dals turn golden, add curry leaves, green chilies, hing and ginger. Saute for 30 seconds.
Pour rava and fry until aromatic.
- Add powdered oats. Fry until the mixture turns aromatic. Add salt and mix. Cool this completely.
Make batter for oats idli
Pour water and curd . Mix to make a thick batter. set this aside for 5 to 8 mins.
Heat a steamer with water. Meanwhile grease the idli plates and place cashews if you like.
After 10 mins, the batter turns slightly thick. At this stage add lemon juice and more water if needed to bring it to a consistency like that of idli batter.
The batter must be thick and not of pouring consistency. But must be smooth and not lumpy.
Add lemon juice, carrots, coriander leaves. Mix a good mix.
Make sure the water is getting hot. Then Sprinkle half tsp soda or 1 tsp eno to the batter. Gently mix it. Do not over mix.
How to make oats idli
Fill the greased plates with batter. This must go right away for steaming. Delaying will make the idlis dense.
When the water in the steamer begins to boil rapidly, place the idli stand in the cooker and steam for about 11 minutes. Switch off the heat.
If cooked properly then a skewer inserted in comes clean or with slight crumbs.
- Allow them to cool down a bit. Remove them with the help of a spoon.
- Serve oats idli hot with a chutney or sambar.
Notes on oats idli
To make the oats idli less sticky, making a coarse powder of oats, using enough oil and right amount of moisture are the key.
Preparation for oats idli
1.Add 1 cup oats to a blender.
2. Make a coarse powder. This helps to prevent stickiness in the oats idli.
3. Pour oil to a hot pan. Add mustard, cumin and 1 tsp urad dal. Saute until the dal turns golden. Sprinkle a pinch of hing.
4. Add 1 finely chopped green chilies, 1 tsp chopped ginger (optional) and few curry leaves. Saute for a min.
5. Next add half cup semolina / rava or whole wheat rava /daliya.
6. Saute on a medium heat until the rava turns fragrant.
7. Add the powdered oats. Mix and fry on a low heat without burning until the oats begin to smell good.
8. Then add salt. Mix this and set aside to cool completely. This is the instant oats idli mix. You can also bottle this and use when ever needed. Keeps good in refrigerator for 1 week to 10 days.
Making oats idli batter
9. Once the mix is cooled completely, add 1 cup water and ¼ cup curd.
10. Mix well and Set aside for 10 mins. Grease the plates and keep aside. You can also place a cashew in each mould.
11. After 10 mins, the batter turns slightly thick. If it is too thick then add 1 to 2 tbsps more water to bring it to a thick consistency like that of idli batter. The batter must be thick and not of pouring consistency. Add water only as needed. You can also skip water depending on the kind of oats used.
Transfer lemon juice, finely grated carrots, chopped beans and peas. Few coriander leaves too. Do not use too much carrots it lends a sweetish flavor.
12. First get the steamer ready with water – about to come to a boil. Then add ½ tsp baking soda or 1 tsp eno. You can also reduce 1 to 2 pinches of soda. Mix well. You will begin to see bubbles in the mixture. The mixture has to go right away for steaming otherwise the idli will turn dense.
How to make oats idli
13. This recipe makes around 8 to 9 idlis. Pour the batter to the greased plates. Put the idli stand inside. Cover and steam for 11 to 12 mins on a high flame. The color of the idli depends on the kind of oats used. I had used rolled oats, hence the yellowish color.
14. Allow them to cool down a bit. Grease a spoon or knife and remove the idli.
Serve oats idli hot with chutney or sambar. Best served hot.
Oats idli made with whole wheat.