Oats idli recipe – Learn to make instant oats idli at home with step by step pictures. We do love our fluffy and soft idli and is a staple breakfast on most weekdays. Rava Idli and this oats idli are a stand by when I do not have stock of idli dosa batter but prefer to eat idli.
These oats idli are good if paired with a real good chutney or a tiffin sambar. I have been making oats idli for few years now and have experimented a lot. The recipe shared here is what i have sticked onto.
I make oats idli with both semolina and whole wheat rava or daliya or samba rava. Bombay rava or semolina is a processed food and is good to consume in moderation. If you are trying to avoid refined foods, then i suggest using whole wheat rava instead of semolina.
You can find a picture of oats idli made with whole wheat rava at the end of this post.
Preparation for oats idli
1. Add 1 cup oats to a blender.
2. Make a coarse powder. Making a coarse powder prevents stickiness in the oats idli.
3. Pour 1½ tablespoon oil to a hot pan. Do not reduce oil. If using cashews, fry them until golden and set aside. Then add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and 1 teaspoon urad dal. Saute until the dal turns golden. Sprinkle a pinch of hing.
4. Add 1 finely chopped green chilies, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (optional) and few curry leaves. Saute for a min.
5. Next add half cup semolina / rava or whole wheat rava /daliya.
6. Saute on a medium heat until the rava turns fragrant.
7. Add the powdered oats. Mix and fry on a low heat without burning until the oats begin to smell good.
8. Then add salt. Mix this and set aside to cool completely. This is the instant oats idli mix. You can also bottle this and use when ever needed. Keeps good in refrigerator for 1 week to 10 days.
Making oats idli batter
9. Once the mix is cooled completely, add 1 cup water and ¼ cup curd.
10. Mix well and Set aside for 10 mins. Drizzle a few drops of oil on each idli plate. Grease them and keep aside. Optionally place fried cashew in each mould.
11. After 10 mins, the batter turns slightly thick. If it is too thick then add 1 to 2 tbsps more water to bring it to a thick consistency like that of idli batter. The batter must be thick and not of pouring consistency. Add water only as needed. You can also skip water depending on the kind of oats used.
Transfer lemon juice, finely grated carrots, peas (optional) & few coriander leaves. Do not use too much carrots it lends a sweetish flavor.
12. First get the steamer ready with 1.5 to 2 cups water like you do for the regular idli. When the water is getting hot, about to come to a boil, then add ½ teaspoon baking soda or 1 teaspoon fruit salt – eno. You can also reduce 1 to 2 pinches of soda. Mix well. You will begin to see bubbles in the mixture. The mixture has to go right away for steaming otherwise the idli will turn dense.
How to make oats idli
13. This recipe makes around 8 to 9 idlis. Pour the batter to the greased plates. Put the idli stand inside when the water comes to a boil. Cover and steam for 11 to 12 mins on a high flame. The color of the idli depends on the kind of oats used. I had used rolled oats, hence the yellowish color.
14. Allow them to cool down a bit. Dip a spoon or knife in water and remove the oats idli.
Serve oats idli hot with chutney or sambar. These are best served hot.
Oats idli made with whole wheat.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup oats (prefer rolled oats)
- ½ cup rava (whole wheat semolina or sooji)
- ¼ cup curd (dahi or yogurt)
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon soda-bi-carbonate (or 1 teaspoon fruit salt – eno)
- 2 tablespoon carrot grated
- 2 to 4 tablespoon water (optional) as needed for consistency
Tempering or Tadka for oats idli
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (optional)
- ½ teaspoon channa dal (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ginger grated or fine chopped
- 4 cashews split optional
- 1½ tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 pinch hing (asafoetida)
- 1 green chili chopped
- 6 curry leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- Add oats to a blender or grinder and make a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan. If using cashews (optional), fry them until golden. Remove and set aside. Add mustard, cumin, chana dal and urad dal.
- Fry until the dals turn golden. Then add curry leaves, green chilies, hing and ginger. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour rava and fry until aromatic. Add powdered oats.
- Fry until the mixture turns aromatic. Add salt and mix. Cool this completely.
- Once cool, pour water and curd to it. Mix to make a thick batter. Set this aside for 5 to 8 mins.
- Heat a steamer with 2 cups water or as required. Meanwhile drizzle a few drops of oil over the idli plates and grease them. Place fried cashews optionally.
- After 10 mins, the batter turns slightly thick. At this stage add lemon juice and more water if needed to bring it to a consistency like that of idli batter.
- The batter must be thick and not of pouring consistency. But must be smooth and not lumpy.
- Add lemon juice, carrots, coriander leaves. Mix a good mix.
- Make sure the water is getting hot. Then sprinkle half teaspoon soda or 1 teaspoon fruit salt – eno to the batter. Gently mix it. Do not over mix.
How to make oats idli
- Fill the greased plates with batter. This must go right away for steaming. Delaying will make the idlis dense.
- When the water in the steamer begins to boil rapidly, place the oats idli stand in the cooker and steam for about 11 minutes. Switch off the heat.
- If cooked properly then a skewer inserted in comes clean or with slight crumbs.
- Allow them to cool down a bit. Remove them with the help of a spoon.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Notes on oats idliTo make the oats idli less sticky, making a coarse powder of oats, using enough oil and right amount of moisture are the key.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes