Dosakaya pappu recipe – andhra style yellow cucumber dal to serve with rice or chapathi. Andhra style dal recipes are mostly made with leafy greens or vegetables like palak, methi, gongura, tomato, gourds and cucumber. There are a few different ways of preparing pappu. One common method is to add all the ingredients and pressure cook. Then mash and temper. Ingredients like green chilies, chili powder, ginger, garlic, tamarind and ghee are used to suit one’s taste.
To make andhra pappu, most people use a lot of red chili powder, green chilies and tamarind to make it sour and hot. Due to these ingredients, the dish gets a deep orange to red color.
I have shared a lot of andhra pappu recipes on this blog, but none have that kind of a color since I rarely use lot of tamarind and chili powder. Dal turns acidic with the addition of tamarind, chili powder and is not easy on the tummy especially if consumed regularly.
To get a village style dosakaya pappu, all you need to do is, just add more chili powder and tamarind in this recipe. You may also like to check this dosakaya pachadi recipe.
Dosakaya pappu recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup dal or pappu (toor dal or moong dal or a mix)
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 ½ to 2 cups dosakaya or chopped cucumber
- 1 small onion sliced (optional)
- 1 medium tomato chopped (optional)
- 2 green chilies
- salt as needed
Tempering for dosakaya pappu
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 to 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 red chili broken
- ½ tsp red chili powder optional
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- pinch asafoetida or hing
How to make the recipe
- Wash dal few times till the water runs clear.
- Wash and peel Cucumber / dosakaya. Cut to quarters, remove the seeds and discard. Chop and add them to the cooker.
- Add dal, cucumber, sliced onion, chopped tomato and green chili to the cooker. Pressure cook for 1 to 3 whistles depending on the kind of cooker you use.
- If using tamarind, soak it in 4 tbsps water and extract thick juice.
- When the pressure releases, Add salt and mash the dal.
Tempering dosakaya pappu
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan, add red chili, mustard and cumin.
- When they crackle, add garlic and curry leaves. Allow the curry leaves to turn crisp.
- Reduce the flame to low. Then add hing, chili powder, turmeric and salt to the hot ghee.
- If using tamarind, you can pour the tamarind juice to the pan and quickly pour everything to the dal.
- Stir and cook for a while until the raw smell of chili powder goes off. Dosakaya pappu is ready to serve with rice or chapathi.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
You can also squeeze off little lemon juice just before serving. But skip tomato and tamarind.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.