Egg vindaloo recipe. An easy to make goan egg curry and can please anyone who likes to have eggs in a sweet, sour and very hot curry. Vindaloo is usually made with pork or beef, since we do not eat any of those, I make this with eggs or chicken. Chicken vindaloo is very popular on the restaurants menu.You can even make a vegetarian version too which I will share later.
This goan egg curry goes best with roti (chapathi) or pulao or biryani too. But this time I made it to go with the rice. It is not a dry curry and you can adjust the consistency of the curry to your desire.
The special ingredients of this curry are vinegar and sugar which brings in a different flavor to the curry. First time when I made this I referred various videos and prepared and had to throw the gravy in the bin since it was extremely sour. So using the right amount of vinegar is very important otherwise it can spoil the entire dish.
How to make goan egg vindaloo
1. Hard boil the eggs and shell them. You can cut the eggs to desired sizes. I do not prefer to do so went ahead with whole eggs.
2. Puree the tomatoes and set aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil; add cinnamon stick and cumin. Sauté for a min.
4. Add onions and fry till golden brown.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get a good aroma.
6. Add green chili, red chili powder, garam masala. Mix and fry for 2 mins. Do not burn but frying is very important
7. Add tomato puree and fry till the gravy thickens and becomes dry
8. Pour 1 cup water along with vinegar, sugar and mix. Let it cook for 3 to 4 mins, till the oil separates
9. Add eggs. Cover and cook till you get the desired consistency.
Serve egg vindaloo with rice, roti or bread.
Egg vindaloo recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 boiled eggs
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp cumin / jeera
- 3 tbsps Oil (yes, you need so much)
- 1 cup onions , heaped of finely chopped
- 1 green chilli slit
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 Handful coriander leaves chopped
- ½ to 1 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsps Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes , medium, (choose sweet variety)
- ¾ tbsps White vinegar
- Salt to taste
How to make the recipe
- Hard boil the eggs and shell them. You can cut the eggs to desired sizes or use make few incisions and use the whole egg.
- Puree the tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add cinnamon stick and cumin. Sauté for a min.
- Add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get a good aroma.
- Add green chili, red chili powder, garam masala. Mix and fry for 2 mins.
- Add tomato puree and fry till the gravy thickens and becomes dry.
- Pour 1 cup water; add vinegar, sugar and mix. Let it cook for 3 to 4 mins, till the oil separates.
- Add eggs. Cover and cook till you get the desired consistency.
- Egg vindaloo is best served after 30 to 40 mins with rice or roti or bread.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.