Jeera water, also known as cumin tea or cumin water is a traditional Indian beverage made with one of the most amazing spice, cumin. Try including it in your regular routine and experience the health benefits! Jeera, known as cumin seed in English, is a staple in Indian cuisine. Its decoction, known as jeera water, is widely used for its many properties. Drinking this health-giving water is an easy way of enjoying the benefits of this healing spice. Cumin belongs to the cuminum cyminun plant, part of the Apiaceae family (like parsley and fennel) (Source: Wikipedia).
The plant is a healing herb and the seeds have a strong earthy taste and warm flavor. The flavor is enhanced when the seeds are heated, either roasted or fried. Ancient texts on Ayurveda describe the wonderful effects of this spice on the human body.
Jeera works on the digestive system, the nervous system, the circulatory system and the reproductive system.
The seeds can be used in cooking, whole or powdered & added to many dishes. They are an essential component of many blended spices like garam masala, curry powder, sambar powder and rasam powder. In Indian cuisine, we also make a lot of dishes exclusively with cumin like Jeera aloo and Jeera rice, as the inclusion of this spice aids digestion.
What is Jeera water?
Jeera water is just water in which cumin seeds have been simmered until all of the flavor and most of the nutrients from the seeds are extracted. Inarguably, it is one of the best warming tea that boosts overall health. The amazing spice, cumin is believed to promote agni (digestive fire) that helps to burn toxins in the body.
Apart from stimulating appetite & improving digestion, cumin water is believed to provide immense health benefits like detoxifying, improving immunity, promoting weight loss & improving memory. With all these benefits, you should make sure that you incorporate jeera water into your daily routine.
How to Make Jeera Water (stepwise photos)
There are different ways to make jeera water and you can select one which you like. The first method is the boiling method & the second one is soaking overnight.
1. Pour water to a non-reactive pot or pan and then add jeera. You can also crush the seeds before adding to the water, so they release their flavor and volatile oils. You can do this easily by using a rolling pin and a board or using a mortar pestle.
2. On a medium heat, bring the water to a gentle boil.
3. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Increase the heat slightly and let it come to a boil again. You will see the seeds being swollen up and begin to release the aroma.
5. Turn off the stove and cover it. Remove pan from heat and let cumin water cool somewhat.
6. It is best to have this warm. You may leave it on the stovetop so it remains warm longer.
7. Strain out the seeds from the water with a fine strainer or muslin. Strain it to serving cups. If the flavor is too strong for your taste you can also dilute it with more warm water.
8. Traditionally jeera water is consumed plain & more often at room temperature. This is how I always have it. But if you are trying to incorporate this for weight loss then you may squeeze in some lemon juice. Remember not to add lemon juice to hot jeera water.
9. Add honey if you prefer, if possible Manuka honey. Both lemon juice and honey are optional.
Serve cumin water warm and fresh, the same day for maximum health benefits.
Heat 1 cup water in a bowl. Next add half teaspoon cumin seeds and soak them overnight. Use previously boiled or filtered water if your tap water is not safe to drink. Cover and leave overnight. Lastly strain the water before drinking. If desired, add a little honey to it for taste.
If you want to experience the benefits of cumin immediately, you can simply mix ½ teaspoon of cumin powder into 200 ml of water and drink it. But if you want to ensure the best results, you should use the seeds in water via one of the above methods, since cumin powder may be adulterated or old, so may not give you the benefits that you are looking for.
You can add certain other foods to jeera water to improve the taste and get even more benefits from this water.
- When mint or basil is added to the water, it enhances its digestive benefits.
- Lemon juice added to jeera water helps with weight loss.
- Honey and cinnamon powder added to cumin water fights respiratory infections.
- Adding cinnamon powder to jeera water balances blood sugar levels.
While you can have jeera water at any time of the day, you get best results when you have it in the morning, on an empty stomach. Lastly if you are having it fresh, drink it at room temperature or when it is still warm.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ teaspoon Jeera (organic cumin seeds)
- 1¼ cups water
How to Make Jeera Water
- Bring water to a gentle boil in a non-reactive pot or pan.
- Optional: Crush the cumin seeds with a rolling pin or in a mortar pestle. The idea here is to release their flavor and volatile oils. You don't need to make a fine powder.
- Add them to the water and bring it to a boil on a medium heat.
- Then reduce the flame and simmer for 5 minutes. Bring this to a boil again on a slightly higher heat and turn off.
- Cover and let cool down until warm.
- Place a strainer over a cup or a pitcher. Filter jeera water and serve warm or at room temperature.
- If you prefer to have jeera water the entire day, then boil 10 grams of cumin seeds in 1250 ml of water following the same steps mentioned above. Strain it and drink the whole day.
- You can also use 1/3 teaspoon ground cumin but it may be less effective since it would be oxidized overtime.
- Cumin seeds cannot be reused. To put them to best use you may eat them off after drinking the jeera water.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
Disclaimer: This post is for information purpose only. It should not be considered for treatment or cure of any disease. I have consumed Jeera water for several years and found it to be really helpful for boosting the overall health. However it may not be suitable to everyone so please check with your doctor if you have any health condition.