Mixed dal dosa recipe – High protein Breakfast recipe made with 4 kinds of lentils. These mixed dal dosas are similar to the South Indian breakfast recipes like Adai and Pesarattu. There is no rice used in this recipe and is great for those looking for high protein diet.
Mixed dal dosas are very good for growing toddlers and kids as these provide a good dose of protein and minerals essential for growth. Different kinds of lentils have varying type & levels of nutrition so you can make these with any lentils of your choice.
To make these mix dal dosa, I have used urad dal, green gram, chana dal and toor dal. You can replace any of these dals with any other dal but the taste and crispness will change.
With the quantities and type of lentils I used, the dosas taste delicious and turn out crisp. However they can also be made to soft dosas, more in the instructions below.
Mixed dal dosa recipe
Mixed dal dosa
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¼ cup urad dal or skinned black gram
- ¼ cup green gram or mung beans
- ¼ cup chana dal or bengal gram
- ¼ cup toor dal or split pigeon peas
- ½ inch ginger or adrak
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 green chili (skip for kids)
- salt as needed
- ½ to ¾ cup water or as needed for batter
- oil or ghee – ½ to ¾ tsp for each dosa
How to make the recipe
Preparation for mixed dal dosa
- Wash the lentils in a large bowl at least thrice. Drain the water and add fresh water. Soak for at least 4 hrs. You can also soak it overnight.
- Drain the water completely. Add them to a blender jar along with ginger, chili, cumin and salt. Pour ½ cup water and blend to a smooth batter.
- If you prefer crisp dosas then add in less water. Blend to a thick batter. If you prefer soft dosas add more water while blending and make a slightly runny batter..
Making mixed dal dosa
- Grease a dosa tawa or a griddle lightly. Heat it well on a medium flame.
- When the pan is hot enough, pour 3/4 ladle batter to the center. Quickly spread it to a thin dosa.
- Cook on a medium heat. Drizzle some oil around the edges.
- This step is optional. With the help of the spatula, gently scrape off the excess batter and spread it evenly.
- When the dosa is cooked, the edges will begin to leave the pan. Flip and cook the dosa on the other side until brown spots appear.
- Flip again and cook until crisp. Remove the dosa to a plate and make the next one the same way.
- Serve mixed dal dosa with chutney or pickle.
Video of mixed dal dosa recipe
Preparation of mixed dal dosa
I have doubled the recipe so you may find the ingredients to be more in the pictures & video.
1. Add urad dal, green gram, chana dal and toor dal. You can replace any of these 2 with moong dal or masoor dal.
2. Wash a few times with lot of water. Pour fresh water and soak for at least 4 hours. For toddlers and people with digestive problems it is good to soak these up to 8 hours.
3. Discard the water and add the lentils, chilli and ginger to a blender jar. I use ginger as it helps in digestion and adds flavor. Also add in cumin and salt. Pour half cup water.
4. Blend to a batter.
5. To make crisp dosas, the batter must be thick but of pouring consistency as shown in the pic. To make soft dosas, pour more water and make the batter slightly thin.
How to make mixed dal dosa
6. Grease a dosa tawa and heat it. When the pan turns hot, pour the batter in the center.
7. Quickly spread it to a thin dosa. If you are unable to spread the batter well, add some water to the batter and mix it.
8. Drizzle oil around the edges.
9. When the dosa is half done, with the help of the spatula gently scrape the top of the dosa. This helps to spread the batter evenly, so the dosa cooks evenly. It also comes out thin.
10. When the mix dal dosa is done, you will see the edges begin to leave the pan. Flip it.
11. Cook until the other side is also done.
12. Flip again and cook to crisp the dosa.
Serve mix dal dosa with chutney or pickle.