Chilla recipe – Besan chilla are simple spiced gram flour pancakes from North Indian cuisine. These can be eaten with a chutney or enjoyed just with a cup of tea or coffee either for breakfast or evening snack. Besan ka cheela are protein packed, taste delicious & are super quick to make. These are best served hot with a green chutney.
To make besan chilla, I have used onions and tomatoes alone, but you can also use grated carrots and fine chopped capsicums. If making for toddlers, then do soak the flour for about an hour.
This help to reduce the chances of stomach upset. Also ensure the chilla is cooked well for the same reason.
Always use good quality gram flour that smells fresh. Avoid using rancid smelling flour otherwise the besan cheela may taste bitter.
Besan chilla recipe
Chilla recipe | Besan chilla recipe | Besan cheela
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup besan ( or gram flour)
- ½ tsp ajwain / carom seeds
- salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- 3 tbsps onions chopped finely
- 3 tbsps tomatoes chopped finely
- 1 green chili chopped finely
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 handful coriander leaves chopped
- 2/3 to 1 cup water
- 2 tsp oil or ghee as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for chilla recipe
- Add besan, ajwain, turmeric and salt to a mixing bowl. Mix everything well.
- Add ginger, tomatoes, onions, coriander leaves and chilies. Pour enough water and make a batter of thick but pourable consistency.
How to make besan chilla
- Heat a pan and grease it lightly with few drops of oil.
- Allow it to turn hot and reduce the flame to medium.
- Mix the batter well from the bottom. Take a ladle of batter and pour it in the center. Quickly spread it to a round cheela.
- Drizzle some oil around the edges and the center.
- Allow to cook until the edges leave the pan.
- Flip it to the other side.
- Press down the edges with a spatula. Fry until the cheela is cooked completely and gets golden spots.
- Serve besan cheela with some tea or chutney.
How to make besan chilla
1. Add besan, salt, ajwain and turmeric to a mixing bowl. Mix up all the ingredients.
2. Then add finely chopped onions, tomatoes, grated ginger and green chilies. Make sure onions and tomatoes are very finely chopped.
3. Add coriander leaves and pour 3/4 cup water.
4. Mix gently and make a batter of thick but pouring consistency.
5. Add more water if needed. I used little less than 1 cup. If the batter is too thick then the chilla will not cook properly and may cause stomach upset.
6. Heat a tawa or griddle. If not using non stick pan, then grease it well with few drops of oil. When it is hot enough, pour one ladle full of batter in the center.
7. Spread it as much as possible.
8. Regulate the flame to medium and drizzle 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of oil or ghee.
9. With in few minutes, you will see the edges begin to leave the pan.
10. Flip it and cook pressing down with a spatula for thorough cooking.
11. When you see brown spots on the cheela, you can remove it to a plate.
Serve besan chilla hot with a chutney.