Paneer cutlet recipe or paneer tikki – Cutlet is one of the delicious, easy, healthy and best after school snacks for kids. Paneer is one of the most important sources of protein and calcium for vegetarian Indians. Just like most kids, mine too love paneer and especially these paneer cutlets are their favorite snack.
This paneer cutlet is mostly made in our home for the kids after school as a evening snack. It can be used as a patty for vegetable burger or can be relished as it is or can be used to make a chat. I have never tried this deep frying. I always prefer to bake them or shallow fry. I tawa fry as well, with the left over mix most of the times.
Baking these is super easy, just mix up everything and make the paneer cutlet. Bake them until golden. I have not coated these in bread crumbs and kept the recipe simple.
You can use any kind of veggies along with paneer to make these paneer cutlets. Carrots, peas, potato, sweet potatoes & sweet corn are some of the vegetables that go well.
Paneer cutlet recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup paneer crumbled (Indian Cottage Cheese)
- ¾ cup potato boiled or mashed mixed veggies or sweet corn (pulsed coarsely)
- 2 to 3 green chilies chopped small (adjust)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs or powdered poha (adjust as needed)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ¼ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 medium onion optional
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¾ tsp garam masala powder
- handful coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make the recipe
Preparation for paneer cutlet
- Boil veggies till soft cooked without making mushy. Mash them. If using sweet corn, boil them till al dente. Cool and pulse them in a blender.
- Add them to a bowl. Also add bread crumbs, salt, cumin, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander leaves and chilies.
- Mix them well to make a dough. If the mixture is too soft, you can add more bread crumbs.
- Make patties using the mixture. The patties should not be too thin or thick.
- Grease a pan generously with oil and heat it.
Making paneer cutlet
- When the pan is hot enough, place these on the pan.
- Flipping to the other side, fry them until golden and crisp.
To bake paneer cutlets
- For baking in oven, preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Prepare a baking tray, grease it well.
- Make small thin patties (appr ¼ inch), and smear little oil on them.
- Bake for 10 to 15 mins, next flip them to the other side.
- Repeat baking paneer cutlet for another 10 to 12 mins.
- Serve with chutney or ketchup.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
Preparation for paneer cutlet
1. Firstly add all the ingredients to a bowl.
2. Next knead all the ingredients. The mixture must come together.
How to make paneer cutlet or paneer tikki
3. Take small portions and make them to patties. To bake place them on a greased foil or butter paper.
4. Shallow fry or tawa fry the paneer tikki.
5. Baked at 220 C for 12 minutes.
Serve paneer cutlet hot.