Spaghetti recipe video – Spaghetti Aglio Olio recipe – One of most simplest Italian pasta recipe that is vegetarian and kids’ friendly. Spaghetti aglio olio is a traditional basic Italian food made just with olive oil and garlic. However there are a few variations suggesting red chili flakes, crushed pepper, chopped parsley and cheese.
Spaghetti Aglio olio can be made just under 15 minutes and goes great with any bread toast or soups or even with a fried egg.
Spaghetti Aglio Olio recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 230 to 250 grams spaghetti
- 1 tbsp garlic minced or 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (can add more if desired)
- 2 tbsps olive oil good quality
- 1 tbsp olive oil more for cooking pasta
- Handful parsley chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps Parmesan cheese
How to make the recipe
- Bring ample amount of water to a rapid boil in a large pot.
- Add spaghetti and cook following the instructions on the pack. I cooked for 7 minutes.
- Drain and reserve 6 tbsps pasta cooked water.
Making spaghetti aglio olio
- In a large pan, add oil and heat it.
- Saute garlic on a low to medium heat until it begins to shrink. Take care not to burn otherwise it will lend a bitter taste to the spaghetti.
- Add red chilli flakes and saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour the reserved water and salt to the pan. Be careful while you do this, as the hot water may splash.
- Check if there is enough salt.
- Mix and cook until the sauce reduces to 2 tbsps.
- Add the cooked pasta. Switch off the stove. Mix everything well and set aside for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley and cheese if desired.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.