Broccoli gravy curry for chapathi, roti, paratha – I am sharing an easy creamy veg gravy recipe for chapathi, roti or paratha. Recipe is too simple and quick to make. There is no tomato, no ginger garlic paste and no nut paste used for this broccoli gravy. If you wish you can use all the ones I mentioned above.I do not add too many ingredients for broccoli gravy or curry since it is flavorful on its own and extra additions may dominate the flavor of broccoli.
To make this broccoli gravy curry recipe, I have used potatoes along with broccoli, if you don’t like you can skip the potatoes. Most Kids love potatoes, serving broccoli with potatoes makes it interesting for them.
I use potatoes without boiling and they get cooked well in the pan itself. But some kinds of potatoes do not get cooked up easily, in that case use boiled potatoes.
You may like to check these veg curry recipes
Find Broccoli gravy curry recipe below
Broccoli gravy curry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¾ cup onions chopped
- 2 potatoes medium, cubed (optional) (1*1 inch size)
- 2 cups broccoli florets (cleaned and washed in salted water)
- Pinch turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ to 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup water
to roast and powder or substitute with a good sambar powder (1 ½ tsp)
- 1 tbsp channa dal / senaga pappu
- 1 tbsp urad dal / senaga pappu
- ½ tsp cumin to powder
How to make the recipe
- If using sambar powder, just skip this step. Heat a pan and dry roast the dals until golden. Towards the end add cumin to warm it up. Set this aside to cool and grind to fine powder first and then mix it with ¾ cup of water. Mix well to remove any lumps and set aside.
- To the same pan, add oil and heat up, add cumin and bay leaf and sauté to get an aroma.
- Add onions and fry till golden. Add potatoes and fry for 2 mins.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the potatoes are almost cooked. During this, the onions get caramelized and potatoes get browned and they begin to release a nice aroma.
- Add broccoli, sprinkle salt and turmeric. Fry for 2 to 3 mins on medium high.
- Cover and cook till the broccoli is half cooked.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala, mix well and fry for a min or 2.
- Pour the ground mix from the blender jar or sambar powder mixed with 3/4 cup water. Mix well. If needed add 1/4 cup water to bring the curry to a gravy consistency. Cover and cook till the gravy thickens. It takes only 2 to 3 mins. Do not overcook broccoli.
- Serve broccoli gravy curry with chapathi, roti or paratha.
How to make broccoli gravy curry recipe with step by step photos
1. You can use sambar powder or make a fine powder of the dals. If using sambar powder, just skip this step. Dry roast chana dal, urad dal until golden. Then add cumin to the hot pan. Cool them and powder finely. Make sure it is a fine powder before adding water. Add 3/4 cup water and make a smooth mixture. This gives us a good creamy gravy. If using sambar powder mix it with 3/4 cup water and use it.
2. To the same pan, add oil and heat up. Sprinkle cumin, add bay leaf and allow to splutter. Add onions and fry until lightly golden. Add potatoes and fry. You can skip potatoes if you don’t like.
3. Cover and cook till the potatoes are cooked. If needed sprinkle water to cook.
4. Add broccoli, salt and turmeric. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes
5. Cover and cook till broccoli is slightly cooked.
6. Add red chili powder, masala powder and fry for a while.
7. Lower the flame completely. Pour the ground mix or sambar masala mixed with water to the pan. Cook stirring often to prevent burning. If needed add 1/4 cup water as well to adjust the gravy consistency.
8. Cover and cook. Check salt and spice. If needed add more salt, for heat you can also add green chili now.
9. When the gravy thickens switch off the stove. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves.
Serve broccoli curry with roti, chapathi