Broccoli chutney recipe – Healthy, delicious and hot broccoli chutney to serve as a side with rice, paratha, roti, chapati, pongal or dosa. We Telugu speaking people make many kinds of vegetable chutney to enjoy with rice & ghee. These are known as pachadi which is mostly made without adding any water, similar to the thogayal from tamil cuisine.
We make pachadi with almost every vegetable like carrot, cabbage, cucumber, brinjal, gourds etc. These are fairly easy to make and are an healthy addition to meals & breakfasts like dosa, idli, pesarattu, paratha, pongal etc.
Broccoli chutney or broccoli pachadi is an uncommon variety but is a must try if you are looking for options to include broccoli in your diet. It turns out to be delicious and no one will ever know there is broccoli in it.
Fresh lemon juice, coriander leaves and roasted onions help to balance the strong flavor of broccoli in the recipe. However onions can be replaced with fresh coconut. I have not tried the recipe with tamarind as I personally don’t prefer it much in our foods.
For those who are new to cooking broccoli – Broccoli needs trimming, cleaning and blanching the same way we do for cauliflower. I usually heat 4 cups of water in a wide pot, add some crystal salt. Allow cleaned broccoli to rest for 2 to 3 mins in this water. Rinse them off well twice or thrice. Drain and use.
Broccoli chutney recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp chana dal / split bengal gram
- ¾ to 1 tbsp urad dal / skinned split black gram
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 green chilies hot , chopped (use to suit your taste)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves medium, chopped
- ¾ cup onions cubed
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- Lemon juice as needed
- salt as needed
- ¼ cup coriander leaves / cilantro with tender stalks
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp urad dal
- red chili Broken
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Pinch hing
- Heat 4 cups water in a pot. Add broccoli florets and leave it for 2 to 3 mins.
- Rinse them well twice in ample amount of water. Drain them in a colander.
- Dry roast chana dal and urad dal on a low to medium heat until golden. Cool this and transfer to a mixer jar.
- To the same pan add oil and saute garlic and green chilies for a min.
- Add onions and saute for 2 to 3 mins until pink.
- Add the broccoli florets & sprinkle salt. Saute on a medium heat for 2 mins.
- Cover and cook on a low flame until they turn soft and tender.
- Add cumin and saute for 2 mins.
- Cool this completely.
- Powder finely chana dal and urad dal.
- Add cooled onions and broccoli mix to the jar.
- Squeeze in lemon juice. Add coriander leaves and blend everything well to a coarse chutney.
- Adjust salt, lemon juice and chilies as needed.
Tempering( skip if you are on a low fat diet)
- Heat another tbsp oil in the pan.
- Add mustard, cumin, urad dal and red chili.
- When they begin to splutter add hing and curry leaves.
- Switch off the stove when the dals turn golden.
- Add the chutney to the pan and mix.
- Serve broccoli chutney with plain rice, ghee or chapati, roti, dosa.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes