Broccoli stir fry recipe – Simple and quick Indian broccoli recipe made with basic ingredients. Broccoli is one of those veggies which is rarely used in Indian cuisine. This Indian style potato & broccoli stir fry tastes delicious with mild flavors of spice powders, garlic and chili. It goes well with almost any thing – rice, roti or even as a side.
Broccoli is rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and more importantly anti-oxidants and has anticancer properties. I use it often to make stir fry, pasta, fried rice and even to make chutney.
To make this broccoli stir fry I have used potato to add some flavor. You can substitute it with green peas, sweet potatoes or even capsicum. I have shared 2 recipes in this post. Please scroll down to find the second one.
Indian broccoli stir fry recipe
Broccoli stir fry recipe | Broccoli curry recipe | Indian broccoli recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 to 2 medium potato cubed – half inch – ½ to ¾ cup
- 150 grams broccoli florets – 2 to 2½ cups florets
- 1½ to 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped (not too small)
- 1 green chili chopped,optional
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder or use as needed
- ½ tsp garam masala , use more if desired
- ¼ tsp cumin powder or jeera powder ,optional
- ¼ tsp coriander powder optional
- salt as needed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sesame seeds or 2 tbsp skinned roasted peanuts
How to make the recipe
Preparation for broccoli stir fry
- Cut the broccoli florets to the sizes you prefer. Add them to warm water and leaves for 2 to 3 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Wash, peel and wash potatoes. Chop them to half inch pieces and keep them immersed in a bowl of water until used.
- Chop garlic and green chilies. Set aside.
How to make broccoli stir fry
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin. When they begin to crackle add chopped garlic and chillies
- Saute just for 30 seconds to 1 min. Do not brown or fry further otherwise they will be burnt later.
- Drain water from the potatoes and add them to the pan. Stir fry for a minute and cook covered on a medium heat until done al dente.
- Check if they are al dente, just cooked and not too soft.
- Add turmeric, chili, garam masala, coriander powder and cumin powder.
- Mix and saute just for 30 seconds. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp water.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Next 1 tsp oil and sprinkle salt as desired. Toss and fry until the broccoli is done to your liking. Avoid over cooking, remove from the pan when it is tender. Broccoli takes only 3 to 5 mins to cook.
- Remove potato broccoli stir fry to a serving bowl. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and lemon juice. Serve with rice, roti or as a side.
Preparation – Indian broccoli recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan. Next add in jeera and allow them to sizzle. Then add in garlic and green chilies.
2. Saute for 30 seconds and add potatoes. Fry for a minute.
3. Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until al dente. Stir in between if needed. It took about 5 to 6 mins for me. If they don’t cook quickly you can also sprinkle some water.
4. Check if the potatoes are done. Do not cook them too soft, they must just be cooked.
5. Next add in turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, cumin and if desired coriander powder.
6. Mix well and fry for 30 seconds. Quickly sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp water.
How to make broccoli stir fry
7. Then add broccoli and saute for a minute.
8. Sprinkle some salt and little oil if needed.
9. Stir well and fry just for 3 to 4 mins. Avoid cooking broccoli for too long until it turns too soft. Turn off when i turns tender yet crunchy.
Sprinkle sesame seeds and lemon juice if desired.
Serve broccoli stir fry with rice, roti or just as a side.
Recipe 2 – Broccoli sabzi or stir fry recipe
2 heaped cups broccoli florets
1/2 to 1 cup capsicum or potatoes or peas (optional)
½ tsp cumin
¾ to 1 tsp ginger grated or ginger garlic paste
Oil as needed
1 small onion sliced thinly or chopped finely
1 medium tomato chopped finely (deseed if you prefer)
Salt and turmeric as needed
½ tsp Red chili powder
½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
Few roasted peanuts crushed (optional)
How to make Indian broccoli recipe
1. Heat 3 to 4 cups of water in a pot, add salt and add the florets. Leave them for about 5 minutes. This helps hidden worms come to the water. Drain off the water and rinse them well under running water. Drain them and set aside.
2. Heat Oil in a pan. Add cumin. When they begin to splutter, add ginger or ginger garlic paste. Fry until it turns aromatic.
3. Add sliced onions and fry until transparent.
4. Add tomatoes, turmeric and fry until the tomatoes turn completely mushy. You can also add garam masala and chili powder now.
making broccoli curry
5. If using potato, add them now and fry until half cooked. Add broccoli, capsicum or peas. On a low flame fry until all the veggies get cooked. If needed cover and cook.
6. Sprinkle garam masala, red chili powder and roasted crushed peanuts and then fry for just one to 2 minutes. Peanuts can also be added just before serving to keep the crunch.
Serve broccoli sabzi with roti or rice.