Curd oats recipe for babies & toddlers. In the past I had shared few recipes for babies & toddlers using oats. Many readers had a question “Will oats reduce my baby’s weight ?”. Thought of sharing my opinion about it here.
Oats is one of the super food since they are 100% whole grain and provides us with unlimited health benefits. Oatmeal has been hyped a lot by the weight loss industry as a tool to lose weight effectively. But to lose weight it has to be eaten at least twice in a day along with low calorie and nutrient dense foods. Using full fat milk, full fat yogurt, egg yolk, butter or sweeteners in oatmeal will not help to lose weight. Also eating low calorie and nutrient rich foods at every meal or snack along with exercise is crucial for a effective weight loss .
While making baby food with oats, it has to be prepared along with high fats and high calorie ingredients like full fat milk, unflavored full fat unsweetened yogurt, ghee, butter, dal, egg or lentils. This doesn’t contribute to weight loss but your baby will be more healthy by absorbing nutrient from oats & other ingredients used. You may want to revisit these oats recipes which are prepared that way.
You can very well serve oats to your baby and toddler 2 to 3 times in a week. It helps in constipation and to sleep well. Oats is a natural source of melatonin which helps to sleep well.
Do not use cold or sour yogurt/ curd for baby’s food. Use rolled oats, avoid instant and quick cook oats.
Curd oats recipe for babies under 1 year
1. Add 2 tbsps powdered oats to a pan.
2. Stir in ½ to ¾ cup water and stir well.
3. Cook it on a medium flame until it thickens. Cool this completely. Add yogurt as needed to bring it to a consistency. Serve immediately.
Curd oats for toddlers
1. If your baby can eat textured foods, this method is easy. Just add 1/4 cup oats to a pan and cook with 1 cup water. Cool this completely.
2. Make sure oats is completely cooled. Take a portion of it to a bowl.
3. Add yogurt (room temperature) and salt. I use Himalayan pink salt, you may want to use it too. It is unrefined chemical free mineral salt.
4. You can use a generous pinch of cumin / jeera powder. Add grated carrots & onions. Mix well. Onions are said to increase immunity and bring down the body heat, you can use after 18 months. If your toddler cannot still eat grated carrots, skip it.
Curd Oats Recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 tbsps oats , powder or 1/4 cup rolled oats (prefer organic or baby oats)
- water as mentioned in step by step method
- salt (for toddlers)
- curd / yogurt as needed
- carrots , Grated , as needed
- Cook oats in water until done. Cool it completely.
- Add curd and mix. You can also add salt and grated carrots for babies above 1 year.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes