Dry dates juice made with just 2 ingredients, dates and water. Date juice is an easy summer drink that can be made with fresh or dehydrated dates. Extracting juice from dry dates is an ayurvedic recipe that has been cherished from the times Ayurveda came into existence, 100s of years ago. It is a good remedy for sun stroke, dehydration and weakness.
One might wonder what kind of a juice can be made using dry dates, with something that has been dehydrated to the core. Yes you can prepare a nice healthy summer drink out of these dehydrated dates that has high nutritional values. please google to know more on the nutritional values.
These dates are called as endu kharjuram in Telugu, vana kharjura in Kannada and uttati in some parts of South India. These are nothing but dehydrated dates and are different from the fresh dates. Refer the pic below.
These dates have high nutritional values almost the double of what the fresh dates have except vitamin C, that is almost nil due to dehydration process.
Even carbohydrates are doubled when compared to the fresh dates, so these give an instant energy boost when consumed. Hence traditionally these were used to make a healthy & cooling drink for summers.
In our family, this is the only drink that is given to babies from 8 months onwards during the hot season to prevent dehydration. Due to the high iron content and other minerals, the babies look and feel good within a few days.
But care must be taken to use clean sterile utensils and other cutlery to prepare the juice otherwise the baby can have a stomach infection.
If you want to give this to your baby during summers, consult your pediatrician first and then feed it. Avoid sweetener and lemon juice. Just soak in water, mash and filter.
If you do not get dehydrated dates, you can still make a refreshing and delicious drink with fresh or frozen dates, lemon, cardamom powder and water or coconut water.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 6 to 8 dry dates (dehydrated dates, substitute fresh dates)
- 1 cup water
- sweetener (skip for babies)
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom powder (skip for babies)
- Method: Whether the juice is for a baby, kid or an adult, the preparation process is the same.
- Clean up the dates using a brush, as these have lot of debris accumulated on them.
- Break open and remove the seed and discard. You can do this in bulk and store them in an air tight dry jar. Alternately you can soak them as it is and remove the seed later. But if you break open, you can inspect & get rid of unwanted particles.
- Wash thoroughly the required amount of dates in lot of water before you use. Drain them.
- Bring one cup of water to a boil, off the heat and add these dates. Leave it for at least 4 hrs or overnight. They will swell and become soft once they are soaked.
- For babies above 10 months: just mash up the soaked dates thoroughly, filter and discard the pulp. Use this juice within the next 2 hours. You can use a feeding bottle to feed this juice.
- If you do not like the flavor of dry dates. You can make a juice out of the fresh dates too. Soak them in warm water for few hours, blend and strain. Add your favourite fruit juice or a few drops of lemon juice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes