nutella recipe – For years I have been making nutella at home for chocolate sandwich. After reading about the pesky ingredients in the bottled Nutella, i tried a lot of recipes. I do not want to say a lot about the ingredients on the bottled product, just check the labels before you buy and will agree with me that homemade Nutella is the best.
Nutella is made with hazelnuts, for the folks to whom hazelnuts are not available, you can try with almonds. I have tried also tried making with half almonds and half hazelnuts and that tasted great as well.
If you are one to prefer the almonds for whatever reason, just go ahead using them in this nutella recipe.
This recipe uses milk, you can use either store bought condensed milk or can condense the milk at home and use. If you like to make it refined sugar free then I suggest making your own condensed milk and use unrefined sugar like coconut sugar, jaggery, palm sugar or brown sugar.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups hazel nut or almond meal (measure the meal, not the almonds)
- 5 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 200 gms condensed milk , sweetened . or 2 cups of full fat milk
- ¼ cup milk (adjust the milk to get the desired consistency)
- 1 to 2 tbsp Almond oil or light olive oil or coconut oil
- vanilla extract , Few drops. (optional)
- 4 tbsp Brown sugar or jaggery or palm sugar (adjust the sweetness to your taste)
How to make the recipe
- for this nutella recipe , If using tinned condensed milk skip this step. If using milk, boil it till it reduces to ¾ cup. Set aside to cool completely.
- Roast the hazelnuts or almonds for a nutty taste and flavor.
- Blend almond meal with milk and oil till very smooth, else you will get the tiny chunks in your mouth while eating.
- Add the sweetener. Mix well.
- Pour the condensed milk and essence. Mix well for uniform smooth liquid, remove lumps if any. At this stage the mix must be of a pouring consistency. You can adjust the consistency now by adding more milk if you desire.
- Bring this mix to a boil on a low flame, keep stirring to prevent burning.
- Off the heat. Add the cocoa powder, mix well, and remove lumps if any.
- Continue to mix till you get a smooth consistency. This takes around 1 to 2 mins. Set aside till it cools.
- Store nutella in a clean dry jar and refrigerate. Warm up before each use to get a spreading consistency.
- Stays good for up to 2 weeks if refrigerated.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.