Moong dal halwa recipe – Rajasthani moong dal halwa is a delicious festive sweet made of moong dal, sugar, ghee and cardamom powder. Moong dal halwa is most commonly made in Rajasthani homes for festive occasions like Diwali. This is usually served in Indian restaurants in a North Indian thali.
Just like any other halwa, moong dal halwa too gets its aroma and taste from the pure ghee used. Moong dal halwa tastes amazingly delicious and is a melt in the mouth. It can be made easily for any occasions. This can be prepared either with khoya (mawa) or milk. I prefer to use milk as most times I do not have mawa at home.
The key to get a smooth mouth melting moong dal halwa is to keep mashing up the lumps as much as possible. Sugar can be replaced with jaggery and saffron can be skipped.
Rajasthani moong dal halwa recipe
Moong dal halwa recipe | Rajasthani moong dal halwa recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup moong dal or yellow dal
- 2 cups milk (you can use half water and half milk)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 to 4 tbsp Ghee (do not reduce, it doesn’t taste good)
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder or rose water
- 1 pinch saffron optional
- 3 to 4 tbsp water to grind the dal
- 2 to 3 tbsp Milk to soak saffron
How to make the recipe
Preparation for moong dal halwa
- Wash and soak dal in lot of water for at least 3 hours.
- Add drained dal along with 2 to 3 tbsps. water to a blender jar and blend till smooth. Keep it aside.
Making rajasthani moong dal halwa
- To a heavy bottom nonstick pan, add ghee and melt.
- Add the ground dal and cook on a medium flame stirring constantly
- Warm up the milk. Add saffron to 2 tbsps. milk and set aside
- Cook dal till it becomes crumbly and aromatic while stirring constantly. Takes about 10 mins.
- Add warm milk to the dal. Mix well and break up lumps. Cook stirring.
- When the milk evaporates, add sugar and mix well.
- Add saffron and cardamom powder or rose water.Mix and cook till the halwa begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add little ghee. Stir and mash up the lumps well to get a smooth moong dal halwa.
- Serve moong dal halwa hot or warm.
How to make moong dal halwa recipe
1. Wash and soak moong dal for 3 hours.
2. Drain water completely and grind dal to a smooth paste with 3 to 4 tbsps water. Set this aside.
3. Heat a nonstick pan with ghee.
4. Once the ghee melts, add the ground paste and begin to cook on a medium flame without burning
5. Meanwhile warm up the milk. I did it in a microwave. add saffron to little milk and soak
6. Keep cooking the dal mix till it becomes crumbly and you can smell the aroma. Takes around 10 mins. Keep stirring constantly to prevent burning.
7. Pour in the warm milk. Mix well and break the lumps. Continue to cook, constantly stirring.
8. Once all the milk is evaporated, add sugar and mix well.
9. When the sugar melts, add saffron and cardamom powder. Mix well and continue to cook till it begins to leave the sides of the pan.
10. If needed add some ghee. While stirring, keep mashing up the lumps, to get a smooth moong dal halwa.
11. when the halwa is still warm, just mash up well with a spatula to smoothen it.
Garnish Rajasthani moong dal halwa with nuts.