Oats kheer recipe with video – Simple healthy oats payasam that can be made in minutes for any occasion. I made this oats kheer during one of the busy festive evenings for our meal. It turned out very good and delicious. Roasting oats in ghee makes all the difference in this recipe, so do not skip roasting them. I have made it using organic rolled oats, however you can also make it with quick cook oats.
This oats kheer can be made using jaggery or sugar. Since oats is a healthy ingredients, I guess most of us like to make this with jaggery. I usually make most kheer recipes with jaggery using this jaggery syrup. But for this post I used organic brown sugar.
This oats kheer tastes best if made using rolled oats, since they are less sticky and more chewy. If you do not have rolled oats, you can also use quick cook oats.
Oats kheer recipe or oats payasam
Oats kheer recipe video | How to make oats payasam recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ½ cup oats (rolled oats taste best)
- 1 ½ to 2 cups full fat milk (adjust as needed, depends on the kind of oats)
- 2 tbsps sugar or 3 tbsp jaggery
- 1 pinch cardamom powder / elaichi
- 1 ½ tbsp ghee
- Cashews as desired
How to make the recipe
- Heat ghee in a pot, fry cashews until golden. Set them aside.
- Add oats and saute on a low to medium flame until well roasted and slightly change the color. This reduces the stickiness.
- Add milk and cook until the kheer becomes thick. Stir often.
- If needed you can add more milk to bring it to consistency.
- Add cardamom powder and sweetener.
- Mix and cook for few more mins.
- Add some more ghee and switch off the stove.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with nuts and few drops of ghee.
- Serve oats kheer hot or warm.