Oats payasam – Simple healthy oats kheer that can be made in minutes for any occasion. Kheer is an Indian pudding often made with rice, milk, cardamom powder & nuts. There are other popular kheer & payasam variations made like semiya payasam or sabudana kheer. Making it with rice or any other ingredient does take some time. So some times I make this oats payasam as a fix.
This oats payasam tastes delicious and can be made in just minutes. Roasting oats in ghee makes all the difference in this recipe, so do not skip roasting them.
I have made it using organic rolled oats, however you can also make it with quick cook oats or steel cut oats. If you are new to using oats then do check this collection of Oats recipes.
This oats kheer can be made using jaggery or sugar. Since oats is a healthy ingredients, I guess most of us like to make this with jaggery.
I usually make most kheer recipes with jaggery using this jaggery syrup. But for this post I used organic brown sugar.
This oats kheer tastes best if made using rolled oats, since they are less sticky and more chewy. If you do not have rolled oats, you can also use quick cook oats.
Oats kheer or oats payasam
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup oats (rolled oats taste best)
- 1 ½ to 2 cups full fat milk (adjust as needed, depends on the kind of oats)
- 2 tbsps sugar or 3 tbsp jaggery
- 1 pinch cardamom powder / elaichi
- 1 ½ tbsp ghee
- Cashews as desired
How to make the recipe
How to make oats payasam
- Heat ghee in a pot, fry cashews until golden. Set them aside.
- Add oats and saute on a low to medium flame until well roasted and slightly change the color. This reduces the stickiness.
- Next pour milk and cook until the kheer becomes thick. Stir often.
- If needed you can add more milk to bring it to consistency.
- Add cardamom powder and sugar. If using jaggery first turn off the heat & add it. You can also make a jaggery syrup and cool completely before adding to the oats kheer.
- Mix and cook for few more mins.
- Add some more ghee and turn off the stove.
- Transfer oats payasam to a serving bowl and garnish with nuts and few drops of ghee.
- Serve oats kheer hot or warm.
1.Heat ghee and fry the cashew nuts until golden. Set these aside.
2.To the same pan, add oats and fry them until golden.
3. Then pour milk and mix.
4. Cook until the oats kheer turns thick. Then add cardamom powder, sugar and mix until it dissolves.
If using jaggery, then turn off the stove first and then add jaggery. You can also dissolve the jaggery first with 2 to 3 tables water in a bowl. Filter and boil until thick. Cool this completely before adding to the kheer otherwise the oats kheer will curdle.
5. Pour little ghee and stir.
Remove oats payasam to a serving bowl and garnish with nuts.