Oats smoothie with fruits
Oats smoothie recipe using fruits – Oatmeal in a smoothie or a milkshake may not be liked by many but it does taste good if made with right ingredients. I did try oats in smoothies several times and somehow did not go well for my taste buds and even with my tummy.
Finally I learnt the correct way of using them which yields really delicious & nutritious smoothie that will go well even for folks with sensitive stomach.
For more oats recipes, you can check this collection of 30 oats recipes.
Tips to make a healthy oats smoothie
- Organic rolled oats or old fashioned oats are best to use in smoothie recipes. During the rolling process, some part of the bran where the Phytic acid resides is partially removed.
- To reduce Phytic acid further it is good to soak rolled oats in luke warm water with 1 tbsp of lemon juice or ¼ cup of orange juice or any other acidic fruit juice for atleast 8 to 10 hours before adding it to the smoothie. This may be useful to those suffering from anemia as phytic acid inhibits the absorption of iron & minerals in the body.
- Avoid quick cook oats or instant oats as they are highly processed and taste flourier.
- Avoid using steel cut oats or raw oats in smoothies unless you can withstand raw foods very well.
- Avoid using too many kinds of fruits in a smoothie as it may upset the stomach and leave you bloated.
- Do not consume Oats smoothie along with breakfast or other foods. They are good to consume alone.
For quick breakfast ideas with oats, you can check
How to make oats fruit smoothie
1. Rinse rolled oats with lot of water and drain completely.
2. Pour luke warm water and then 1 tbsp of lemon juice for 1 cup of water. You can replace lemon juice with orange juice.
3. Allow to soak for 8 to 12 hours. Experts suggest leaving it at room temperature overnight, but I prefer to refrigerate. I also prefer to discard the juice or water the next morning.
4. Add it to a blender along with any fruit of your choice. Here I have used 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice and 1 medium sized ripe banana. Try using ripe & sweet fruits and avoid sweeteners. Avoid sour fruits to prevent your stomach from getting bloated.
5. Blend until smooth and transfer to a serving glass. You can add more juice to bring it to the consistency you desire. You can also add some soaked almonds and cashews. I garnished with cinnamon powder.
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1½ cups orange juice fresh fruit like pineapple juice or apple juice (avoid sour juice)
- 1 banana medium to large, ripe
- 10 almonds or cashews (optional)
- Wash and soak oats in luke warm water with 1/4 cup juice or 1 tbsp lemon juice and a cup of water.
- Allow to rest for overnight to 12 hours.
- You can discard the soaked water if you prefer to reduce the phytic acids .
- Blend everything well until smooth.
- Serve oats smoothie immediately.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Hi swasthi can i use steel cut oats to make oats smoothie
No! Steel cut oats should be cooked before consumption.
Hi swathika .I am using Quaker oats for making smoothie.The usual blue color(classic) one with no added flavors.
Is it healthy enuf to use it and shud I soak the oats overnight .
Hi swasthi, this time i bought steel cut oats , instead of rolled oats for my baby. I generally cook with milk or veg oats porridge ( since my little one likes to eat oats with bracoli )for dinner..so plz suggest me how to cook steel cut oats for both da recipes, do i need to use pressure cooker ?
I avoid cooking broccoli with milk. You can try this way. Either make steel cut oats khichdi or curd oats. Just sprinkle broccoli keema on top. You can skip almonds or add peanuts in the recipe.
To cook with milk, I usually wash and soak them for about 1 hour. Discard the water and cook with 1: 4 ratio. Oats:water. When the oats turn completely soft then pour milk as desired. Cook until it turns thick and creamy. Sprinkle chopped dates, sliced almonds, pistas or cashews.
I usually cook in pan if cooking with milk. But if I make khichdi, then i use pressure cooker. I will make a detailed post soon.
Thanks for reading.
Hope this helps.
Hi swasthi how r u ? I leaned so many recipes from ur blog, thank u very much for so many recipes n wonderful information. I have one question, will u plz suggest me which oats are good to eat ? Coz previously i know only oats n only brands are different, now i came to know there are so many verieties of oats like instant, rolled even recently i heard oats rice so confusing a lot
I am good. Hope you had a good vacation. You can have rolled oats or steel cut oats. Avoid instant oats. Though the nutrition is almost the same in all, steel cut oats and rolled oats are low glycemic. You can find steel cut oats in fair price, cold storage and mustafa. You can check this post for more Oats recipes Hope this helps.
Thank u swasthi
Can I give this smoothie to my ten month old baby? Can I use any fruits?
this is not suitable for babies.