Palak chole recipe or chana palak recipe – Chickpeas in spiced spinach gravy. This no onion, no tomato and no garlic chana palak gravy tastes very delicious and creamy. This recipe can very easily be adapted to suit your taste.
Indian spinach is called as palak in hindi, palakura in telugu, pasalai keerai in tamil and palak soppu in kannada. High in Iron and also vitamins a, c, and k, hence tagged as highly nutritious leafy vegetable. It is one of the best for folks who aim to consume a low glycemic index (GI) diet including the diabetics.
Even chickpeas are well known for their low GI, so this chole palak is perfect not only for diabetics for all of us.
This low fat curry tastes light, delicious and extra ordinarily creamy. No garam masala is used to retain the original flavor of palak. Coriander and cumin powder are used for an hint of light spices.
This curry goes well with Indian breads like roti, chapati and flavored rice dishes like pulao, biryani or fried rice.
palak chole gravy recipe below
Palak chole recipe | How to make palak chole gravy | Chana palak recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups Kabul channa soaked, / chole / senagalu / chickpeas
- 3 cups palak or 2 cups finely chopped, / palakura / spinach
- ¾ tsp Coriander powder / daniya powder
- ¼ tsp Cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin / jeera
- 2 to 4 green chilies
- ½ tsp Pepper corn (optional)
- ½ inch ginger sliced thinly or grated ginger
- 2 tsps Oil light
- 1 Pinch hing
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- coconut for garnishing (optional)
- Amchur powder or tamarind paste or lemon juice as needed
How to make the recipe
- Wash and soak chickpeas in lot of water for at least 6 to 8 hours
- Add them to a pot and cook them till fully done. They can be pressure cooked too.
- To a blender jar, add 1/3 to ½ cup of boiled chickpeas,spinach and stock left after cooking chickpeas . Grind them to smooth and keep aside.
- Add oil to a pan and heat up. Throw in cumin, pepper corn, ginger. Fry till the ginger turns aromatic, add hing
- Add left over chick peas and any leftover stock, amchur, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes
- Add pureed mix and cook until the gravy leaves the sides of the pan.You can add in a dash of butter or cream if you prefer to enhance the taste
- Garnish with grated coconut or cream.
- Serve hot palak chole with rice or chapathi
If you wish to use garlic, just skip ginger and use 1.5 tsps. Ginger garlic paste. Fry till u get a good aroma
If you wish to make it a coconut based gravy, you can add few tbsps. Of fresh coconut and blend with palak.
How to make palak chole gravy with step by step pictures
1. Wash and soak channa / chole overnight in lot of water.
2. Cook them till soft and tender, you can pressure cook or cook in a pot. Wash palak in lot of water. Drain them off in a colander.
3. Add 1/3 to ½ cup of cooked chole, palak and stock left after cooking chole to a blender jar. Make a smooth puree. Set aside
4. Heat a pan with oil, add cumin, pepper corn and ginger. Saute till u get an aroma of fried ginger, add hing
5. Add cooked chick peas together with any leftover stock, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, amchur or tamarind. Cover and cook everything well for about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Pour the pureed chole palak, mix and cook till the mix begins to leave the sides of the pan.
7. Garnish palak chole with fresh coconut. Serve with pulao or chapathi.