Sweet poha recipe – Sweet aval is an easy snack made with beaten rice, jaggery, cardamom powder and coconut. It is a no cook recipe & just takes about 10 minutes. Sweet poha is usually made during Krishna Jayanthi to offer during the pooja. Poha is said to be Lord Krishna’s favorite so various poha dishes are prepared on Krishna Jayanthi.
Sweet poha also makes a great snack for toddlers & kids. We also serve it as breakfast to toddlers with some milk.
Different South Indian states have different versions of making this sweet aval. There are many ways of making sweet aval. I have shared the way we make it at home.
Aval or poha: There are 3 basic kinds of aval available in the market: Paper (also called disco or chivda poha), Medium (thin) and Thick. You can use any kind.
Using aval without rinsing will give a hard chewy texture. So the thicker variety is softened first by rinsing them. The thinner kind can just be used directly.
Jaggery: I generally use clean jaggery to make this. But if your jaggery is not clean then you can make a thick jaggery syrup. Skip rinsing and then pour the thickened jaggery to the dry poha. Mix it well.
Coconut: Using fresh coconut is very important as it enhances the taste.
Nuts: We usually add some ghee roasted cashew nuts. Some people also add fried gram or ghee fried copra pieces.
Banana: My mom also adds sliced ripe yet firm bananas to this. If using add it just before serving as they get discolored very soon and makes the entire aval soggy.
So get creative and make it however you like. I was running out of nuts so I added fried gram and toasted sesame seeds.
Sweet poha or sweet aval
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups poha medium, aval, avalakki, poha, attukulu. refer notes
- ¼ cup coconut grated, fresh
- ¼ cup Jaggery grated or powdered
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsps roasted cashews or fried gram
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
How to make the recipe
- If using thin or paper thin poha, then skip rinsing them and add to a bowl.
- If using thicker poha rinse them quickly in enough water and drain completely.
- Spread on a wide plate and air dry it. They should not be mushy.
- Add coconut, jaggery & cardamom. Mix well.
- Set aside for 10 to 15 mins. Jaggery will dissolve on its own when mixed with coconut.
- Add the roasted cashews or fried gram and sesame seeds just before you serve to keep them crunchy.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.