|Brinjal Fry | Vankaya Vepudu|
Lately A vegetarian reader of my blog was pointing out that my space is flooding with nonveg recipes these days and she doesn’t find anything new to prepare as iam not posting any veggie recipes. so I am posting some simple veggie recipes and will continue to do that in the next few days. Today’s post is a simple Brinjal Fry | Vankaya Vepudu that can be served as a side dish with rice, rasam or sambhar and even with yogurt rice. Fried green chilies and milk both give a good taste to this vepudu.
1 cup of tender brinjal pieces (sliced, cut and keep them in salt water till you cook)
2 to 3 green chilies
¼ cup of green peas
45 ml whole milk
1 sprig of curry leaves
¼ tsp mustard
¼ tsp Cumin
pinch of turmeric
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
½ tsp light garam masala (optional) (do not use a strong garam masala ,will make your fry bitter)
salt to taste
1 ½ tsp lemon juice (recommended if you are allergic, lemon juice prevents skin itch that is caused by eating eggplant in few people)
peanut oil as required
1. Heat oil in a wide pan, add curry leaves, cumin mustard, let them splutter
2. Add the green chilies, fry till they turn pale in color
3. Add ginger garlic paste, sauté quickly, do not fry for longer, can make your brinjal bitter
4. Add the brinjal , peas, salt & turmeric, toss on a medium flame, till they are half cooked.
5. Pour the milk and increase the flame to high and fry till all the milk is evaporated. by now the brinjal will be cooked fully. else continue to fry till the pieces are cooked.
6. Sprinkle the garam masala if using
7. Add lemon juice, before you serve.