Aloo methi paratha recipe – easy kids lunch box idea. Kneading flour to a soft pliable dough with just enough water is crucial, to get softer rotis, paratha or chapathis. But many of us find difficulty kneading the dough. For such folks, making these aloo parathas are easier than making the regular roti or chapathi, since the dough does not require a long knead when compared to roti dough.
The dough becomes pliable and soft very easily due to the addition of boiled potato. It makes a healthy Lunch for kids and easy for moms to prepare. This does not need much time, as the dough needs no resting.
These aloo methi paratha can be served with a vegetable salad, raita, plain yogurt or chutney as well.
You can check more healthy and quick Paratha recipes,
You may also like this collection of Potato recipes.
Step by step photos on aloo methi paratha recipe
1. Wash methi leaves thoroughly in ample water at least thrice. Drain water well, finely chop them. Add mashed potatoes, atta, turmeric, green chili chopped or ajwain, garam masala and salt. Make a dough with an addition of water as needed.
2. Add oil and make a pliable dough. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Make 4 equal sized balls of dough. Flour the rolling area and roll them one after the other to a thick paratha. Do not make thin as they tend to tear off. You can also make triangle paratha following this Ajwain paratha recipe for step by step photos.
4. Heat a tawa and place a paratha on the hot tawa.
5. When you see bubbles over the paratha, add oil or ghee and flip it to the other side. Toast till you see brown spots, meaning it is cooked. Clean up the tawa before toasting the next one. Stack aloo methi paratha one over the other to keep them soft.
Recipe of aloo methi paratha below
Aloo methi paratha recipe | How to make aloo methi paratha
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour or Atta
- 1 potato large, boiled and mashed
- 1/3 cup Fenugreek leaves finely chopped, methi leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- ¼ tsp ajwain or Green chili chopped or paste
- ¾ tsp garlic grated, optional
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- 1 tsp oil for kneading
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp ghee for toasting
- ¼ tsp garam masala optional
How to make the recipe
Preparation for aloo methi paratha
- Mix together all the ingredients except oil thoroughly. Pour water little by little and knead it.
- Add oil and knead again till the dough becomes pliable. I make the slightly dough sticky and soft. This is a way to keep the paratha soft.
- Cover & set aside for 5 to 10 mins. Make 4 to 5 balls of equal size.
Make aloo methi paratha
- Flour the rolling area and dust some flour on the ball.
- Roll with a rolling pin to a thick layer. Do not make them very thin, they tend to become hard. Repeat making all of them.
- Heat a tawa till smoky hot, transfer the aloo methi paratha to the tawa and adjust the flame to medium high.
- When the paratha starts to bubble, press gently randomly with a kitchen tissue or wooden spoon to help in puffing. Add a tsp of oil or ghee around the paratha.
- Flip the parata to the other side and repeat the process till it is fully done.
- Stack aloo methi paratha and wrap in a kitchen tissue or in a cloth to keep them soft. This way aloo methi paratha remains soft for many hours.