Aloo Methi Paratha
Aloo methi paratha are delicious Indian flatbreads made with boiled potatoes, fenugreek leaves, spices, herbs and whole wheat flour. Unlike Aloo Parathas, these are not stuffed and needs no expertise. Just mix all the ingredients to form a soft dough, roll them and toast on a tawa. You are done with beautiful, delicious and healthy aloo methi parathas.
Kneading flour to a soft pliable dough with just enough water is crucial, to get softer rotis, paratha or chapathis. But a lot of us find difficulty kneading the dough. These aloo parathas are easier than making the regular roti or chapathi, since the dough does not require a long knead when compared to roti dough.
The dough becomes pliable and soft very easily due to the addition of boiled potato. It makes a healthy Lunch for kids and easy for moms to prepare. This does not need much time, as the dough needs no resting.
These aloo methi paratha can be served with a vegetable salad, raita, plain yogurt or chutney as well.
You can check more healthy and quick Paratha recipes,
How to Make Aloo Methi Paratha (Stepwise photos)
1. Wash methi leaves thoroughly in ample water at least thrice. Drain water well, finely chop them. Add mashed potatoes, atta, turmeric, green chili chopped or ajwain, garam masala and salt. Make a dough with an addition of water as needed.
2. Add oil and make a pliable dough. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Make 4 equal sized balls of dough. Flour the rolling area and roll them one after the other to a thick paratha. Do not make thin as they tend to tear off easily and trn hard. You can also make triangle paratha following this Ajwain paratha recipe for step by step photos.
4. Heat a tawa and place a paratha on the hot tawa.
5. When you see bubbles over the paratha, add oil or ghee and flip it to the other side. Toast till you see brown spots, meaning it is cooked. Clean up the tawa before toasting the next one.
Stack aloo methi paratha one over the other to keep them soft.
Aloo Methi Paratha
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour or Atta
- 1 potato large, boiled and mashed
- 1/3 cup Fenugreek leaves finely chopped, methi leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- ¼ tsp ajwain or Green chili chopped or paste
- ¾ tsp garlic grated, optional
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- 1 tsp oil for kneading
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp ghee for toasting
- ¼ tsp garam masala optional
- Mix together all the ingredients except oil thoroughly. Pour water little by little and knead it.
- Add oil and knead again till the dough becomes pliable. I make the slightly dough sticky and soft. This is a way to keep the paratha soft.
- Cover & set aside for 5 to 10 mins. Make 4 to 5 balls of equal size.
How to make Aloo Methi Paratha
- Flour the rolling area and dust some flour on the ball.
- Roll with a rolling pin to a thick layer. Do not make them very thin, they tend to become hard. Repeat making all of them.
- Heat a tawa till smoky hot, transfer the aloo methi paratha to the tawa and adjust the flame to medium high.
- When the paratha starts to bubble, press gently randomly with a kitchen tissue or wooden spoon to help in puffing. Add a tsp of oil or ghee around the paratha.
- Flip the parata to the other side and repeat the process till it is fully done.
- Stack aloo methi paratha and wrap in a kitchen tissue or in a cloth to keep them soft. This way aloo methi paratha remains soft for many hours.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Hi mam.. I really love your recipe mam these are delicious on this critical situation of lockdown your recipe makes me and my family to enjoy our dining thanks mam and we are expecting more from you☺️☺️
Glad to know! Thank you!
Mam mujhey coocking me kuchh bhi nhi ati thi, Par apney mere coocking ko itna easy aur itna best bana diya hai mam ke mein dilsey Thakfull hu apki. God bless you mam alwys. Aj mein garv se sabko kehti hu mjhey sabkux ati hai bananey just bcoz of you mam…. Mein apey sare friends ko suggest karti to try your recipes….
Glad to know you! Very happy to know the recipes are helpful. Thank you so much for the wishes & suggesting my recipes to your friends.
Mam please ek rqst hai apsey apki woh pehli wali chicken pakoda recipe bohot hi awesome thi. Kya app wahi recipe ekbr firse daal sakti hai……. Please
Or sirf Aloo pratha recipe bhi. Please mam mein bhi apki fan hu. I love your dishes please mam its a rqst…..
I am very much Thankful to you u made my varalakshmi varatam delightful.. Thak you for your simple recipes of all chikari pongali and ravva kesari, pulihora and purnaluu.. Thaks aaaa lot
So happy to know the recipes were useful. Thanks a lot for the comment. You made me happy.
thank you so much for the recepies . trying everyday a new recipe for children’s lunch boxes. they are enjoying it everyday. thank you so much.
Glad to know the kids ar enjoying the food
helo mam ur recipes r so teasty and ple make a recipes for veg alu dum in white gravy ple.ple urjt reply
You can try this dum aloo recipe. Skip chili powder and use green chili if you want a white gravy
Ur recipes r great.
Can u plz make a recipe for aloo parantha plz
Yes will post it
Hai mam.u r receipes so yummy&teasty
Very easy method of cooking thankyou for recipes
Very healthy paratha…
wow.. looks delicious.. tempting click..
yummilicious and superb combo paratha.