Chana sandwich recipe – a delicious chana sandwich that can be made for breakfast or evening snack. This can also be packed in the kids’ snack box. It is protein rich and nutritious since fresh veggies are also added to it. I make chana sandwich in 2 ways. One is using cooked chana and spice powders. The other method is to use any chana masala or curry.
Method 1 – how to make chana sandwich
1. Add boiled chana, chili powder, garam masala, salt and lemon juice. Toss everything well. To prepare chana, soak them for 6 to 8 hours, boil them with a pinch of soda in pressure cooker for 1 whistle on a medium flame. You can also boil them in a pot until soft cooked.For 1 cup chana, you can use half cup water for pressure cooking.
2. Trim the edges and butter the bread. Toast it on a tawa, skip if making in a toaster. Spread a generous amount of chana.
3. Add desired veggies or leafy greens. I prefer to use onions, carrots, cucumber, beetroot and coriander leaves.
4. Cover with another slice of bread. If doing it in a toaster, toast it until done. Kids may not be able to handle if made on a tawa, as chana begins to come out of the sandwich. I suggest making it in a toaster if making for kids.
method 2 – chana masala sandwich
This recipe needs any chana masala or chick pea curry. To make the chana curry for filling, you can also refer my punjabi chole recipe or restaurant style chana masala. Saute it in a pan until it dries up. You can also add spinach/ palak, methi leaves or capsicum to the pan while you saute. Cook until it wilts off.
Spread it on bread, place desired veggies. We love the fresh crunchy spring onions in this sandwich. Cabbage, carrots, cucumber, onion, beetroot go well for this chana masala sandwich.
Toast it in a toaster.
If making it for later consumption, do not use cucumbers as they make the sandwich soggy.
Chana sandwich recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
veggies as needed
- carrot grated
- onion rings
- beetroot grated
- cabbage grated or shredded
- spring onions chopped
- coriander leaves
method 1 – simple steps
- soak chana for 6 to 8 hours and boil until soft cooked with little soda,
- Drain the water and add them to a bowl. Toss them with red chili powder, garam masala, salt and lemon juice.
- Butter the bread and toast them.
- Spread the chana over the bread and top with veggies.
- Cover the bread with another toasted slice.
method 2- using any chick pea curry
- saute chana curry until it dries up.
- place them on a bread slice and add desired vegetables.
- Toast in a toasted until golden.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes