Chickpea soup recipe – Thick, creamy and delicious chickpea soup made with pantry staples. Chickpeas are one of the staple legumes in Indian cuisine. Most Indian homes pretty much cook them every week either to make chana masala or punjabi chole. We also use them to make rice pilafs, biryani & chaat snacks. Making soup with chickpeas is not so much common.
With young fussy kids at home, I often end up experimenting something and come up with delicious foods.
This chickpea soup just happened on a rainy day when I was left with lots of soaked chickpeas. Since then it has become a favorite at home and is been made time and again.
The recipe needs only a handful of ingredients and does not use much of spices. It is creamy, delicious, protein rich and filling.
I usually toast bread in the oven and make some croutons to go with this. The family is happy anytime to have this.
You can also serve this soup with some sandwiches or cheese toast.
I have made this more often when my kids were toddlers considering the nutrition. So if you have toddlers and kids, make it more often. I am sure they will love this.
This can be served for breakfast, evening after school snack or even for a brunch.
If you love the spicy foods then you can add some green chilli paste and whole spices while you simmer the soup. You can also add any seasonings of your choice.
So whenever I soak chickpeas to make chana masala. I often set aside some in the fridge for the following days to make this chickpea soup.
This recipe can also be made with canned chickpeas to cut down soaking and cook time.
chickpea soup recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup Chickpeas or 1 cup canned chickpeas
- Salt as needed
- 1 cup Water as needed
- 10 mint leaves chopped
- 2 tbsps Lemon juice
- ¼ to ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ inch ginger chopped
How to make the recipe
- Wash and soak chickpeas for about 8 to 10 hours.
- Cook chickpeas till soft or for 2 to 3 whistles with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker. You can also cook them in a pot.
- Once the pressure comes down, set aside to cool.
- Blend this to a smooth puree with additional water to bring it to the desired consistency.
How to make chickpea soup
- Pour ghee to a hot pot.
- Add cumin and ginger. Saute for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Next add turmeric.
- Pour the blended chickpea mixture and then add more water to bring it to a consistency.
- Bring it to a gentle boil.
- Add salt and turn off.
- Next add mint leaves & pepper.
- Cool down slightly and then squeeze in lemon juice. You can serve warm with croutons or cutlets too.