Chocolate oats recipe with video – Delicious oatmeal cooked in milk and garnished with chocolate and pistachios & almonds. This chocolate oats is a great way to transform your boring regular oatmeal to a yummy and addictive breakfast dessert.
Chocolate oatmeal has been one of our most favorite oatmeal dishes for sometime now. This savory vegetable oats porridge is been made in my home for several years for our Sunday breakfast.
For a change I make this delicious chocolate oatmeal which can be made under 5 to 7 mins. It turns out very delicious and I am sure it will be loved by most kids too. It is slightly on the heavier side and keeps us full till noon.
To make chocolate oats recipe, I cook the oats in full fat milk and then garnish with chopped chocolate and nuts.
For a more intense chocolate flavor and to make it healthier, you can also add little cocoa powder or good quality unsweetened dark chocolate or cocao nibs to the oats while cooking.
This way you can use a better and healthier alternates to sugar like maple syrup or coconut palm sugar.
Tips to make chocolate oats
- I have used rolled oats here. But you can also use steel cut oats or quick cook oats.
- You can just skip sugar and just add some dates, maple syrup or even jaggery.
- Oatmeal can also be cooked in any vegan milk like almond milk or coconut milk.
- You can also make a overnight chocolate oatmeal by skipping the cooking part. Just soak the rolled oats overnight in some milk or juice. Refrigerate until used. Add chopped chocolate in layers to your jar.
- You can also add some praline over the chocolate oatmeal.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cups full fat milk (can use 1 ½ cups)
- chocolate chopped, as desired, Good quality
- ½ to ¾ tsp cocoa dissolved in ¼ cup milk (optional)
- Sweetener as desired (maple syrup, organic sugar, coconut sugar, palm jaggery or jaggery syrup)
- 4 to 5 almonds chopped
- 6 pistachios chopped
- 3 to 4 cashews chopped
How to make the recipe
- Pour milk to a pot and add oats.
- Stir and cook until the oats are done. You can cook until it reaches a thick consistency.
- You can dissolve cocoa in little milk or add some chopped chocolate and cook. This step is optional.
- While the oats cook, chop the chocolate and almonds, pistachios, cashews.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Allow the oats to cool down to warm temperature.
- Top with chocolate as desired. Garnish with nuts. Add sweetener as desired.
Video of chocolate oats recipe
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.