Dal paratha recipe – simple and easy paratha made with whole wheat flour (atta) and cooked dal. They go good for breakfast or lunch and even in the lunch box. They can be served with any pickle or a simple curry. These dal paratha can be made with an addition of veggies too and it is optional.
As with most kids, it happens with one of mine too that he doesn’t eat enough dal. While the younger one eats his khichdi varieties regularly for lunch, the other one rarely eats dal. So i began to make a variety of these dal paratha for the breakfast and lunch box. This is a good and easy way to get the kids eat dal.
To make these dal paratha, we need not follow any fixed measurements. We need cooked dal and the quantity to use depends on its consistency – Thick or runny. If you like to use more dal, make sure to use dal that is cooked to a thick consistency.
Due to the addition of daal, the dough doesn’t need any resting time, paratha can be made right away. This is one reason i make these often for the breakfast and lunch box.
Dal paratha recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 to 2 green chilies paste
- coriander leaves few, chopped finely
- handful methi chopped
How to make the recipe
- Add ginger garlic, salt, garam masala, chili powder and salt to cooked daal. Mash everything well.
- Add flour and make a dough. Knead it well until it turns soft.
- Divide the dough to 6 to 8 balls.
- Flour the rolling area and begin to roll a ball to a roti.
- Smear oil or ghee and fold it. Repeat smearing oil.
- Fold it again to get a triangle.
- Roll the triangle to a paratha that is of even thickness all over.
- Finish making all the paratha.
- Heat a pan or tawa. Move a paratha to the hot pan.
- When bubbles begin to appear, flip it to the other side and gently press with a spatula.
- It begins to fluff up. Cook until brown spots are seen , meaning it is cooked.
- Smear ghee or oil over the dal paratha. Serve with a chutney or curry.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
Dal paratha recipe with step by step photos
1. I used ¾ cup of cooked and mashed thick dal. You can use plain daal or any variety like dal methi, vegetable dal or dal palak too. Mine was cooked together with red pumpkin, bottle gourd (lauki) and chayote (chow chow). You can use any veggies along with the daal while cooking. When it is still hot, i added salt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, red chili powder. You can also add ajwain,turmeric, chopped coriander leaves or finely chopped methi leaves.
2. If there are any chunks of veggies, make sure you mash them well.
3. Add 1.5 cups wheat flour (atta) to this.
4. Knead it well. If the dal is very thin/ runny then you may need to add more flour otherwise the dough turns sticky. The dough doesn’t need oil.
5. Make 6 to 8 equal sized balls.
6. Flour the rolling area, place a ball of the dough. Roll it with a rolling pin. Smear oil or ghee over the paratha. If eating right away use ghee else oil is better.
7. Fold it. Smear oil once more.
8. Fold it again.
9. Roll it evenly.
10. Heat a tawa. Place the paratha. Very soon you can see bubbles over the paratha, flip it. Press a bit with a wooden spatula.
11. Pressing with a spatula helps to puff. Cook it until brown spots are seen. Smear little ghee over the paratha.
Serve with chutney, pickle or curry.