Wishing everyone a happy holi, sharing a gajar kalakand recipe. kalakand is a popular Indian milk dessert made for special occasions like navratri, diwali or holi. The traditional recipe of kalakand calls for condensing the milk for long time which may not be possible for many of us. I prefer to make a quick kalakand using condensed milk and paneer which i shared earlier. gajar kalakand is a variation to it.
I had made this twice during festivals last year and we liked it a lot. This has a flavor of gajar ka halwa and the taste and richness of a kalakand. It is best when served chilled and makes a great dessert for celebrations and parties.
I made fresh chenna/paneer for this recipe, if you have it in stock , you can skip the steps of making it.
step by step photos of gajar kalakand recipe below
1. Bring 1 liter milk to boil, add lemon juice as needed. If you like your kalakand to be grainy, use a little bit more of lemon juice while you curdle.
2. Milk curdles, Switch off the stove. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
3. Drain it off in a clean cotton, muslin or cheese cloth. Make a knot, squeeze off excess water and hang it till we use it.
4. Add 1 tsp. ghee to a pan, heat it.
5. Add grated carrot, fry till it begins to wilt. Takes around 4 minutes
6. Pour condensed milk. I used milk maid. Mix well and cook on a medium flame.
7. Carrot begins to release moisture and thins down the milk. Allow it to cook till the milk thickens again. Squeeze off excess water from chenna again. Add it to the pan.
8. Mix and continue to cook.
9. Add rose water or cardamom powder. Switch off the stove when the mixture thickens. Do not over cook at this stage, otherwise gajar will not bind well when we cut them to cubes. The mixture should be moist enough.
10. Grease a aluminum foil or use a parchment paper. Place this in a round or square tray or plate. Transfer the mixture to the paper. Spread it evenly. Knock down the tray on to the kitchen counter few times for the mixture to settle down well. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Once set, cut to desired sizes. I suggest making 16 squares, i cut to 12 and were very large.
Serve gajar kalakand chilled.
find the complete recipe of gajar kalakand below
gajar kalakand recipe | condensed milk recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 condensed milk tin ( milk maid 397 grams)
- 1/2 kg carrot , gajar
- 1 tsp rose water / kewra water or 1/8 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1 liter full fat milk or 3/4 cup completely drained chenna/paneer
- lemon juice as needed
- Pistachio s or cashews chopped as needed for garnish
How to make the recipe
To make chenna (skip if you have it ready)
- Bring milk to a boil, add lemon juice and stir.
- When you see the milk curdling. Switch off. If it doesn't get curdled well. you can add few more drops of lemon juice.
- Place a cotton cloth over a colander and drain off the chenna and whey.
- Squeeze off excess water and make a knot. Hang it till needed.
making gajar kalakand
- While the milk boils, wash and peel carrots. Grate them.
- Add ghee to a hot non stick pan, fry carrot till it wilts off.
- pour condensed milk and cook till the mixture thickens.
- Add drained chenna to this and stir.
- Cook till the mixture thickens. Add rose water or cardamom powder. Mix well
- Grease a aluminum foil or a parchment paper. Place it in a round/square tray.
- Transfer the mixture and level it with a spoon.Garnish with nuts
- Allow it to set in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. Cut to 16 squares.
- Serve chilled. To be refrigerated and consumed within three to four days.