Jeera rice recipe in 2 ways – Jeera rice is one of the most commonly made flavored rice from the North Indian cuisine. To make this simple and easy rice recipe, basmati rice is cooked with jeera (cumin) and other mild spices. It is served with veg and non-veg gravy side dishes like veg kurma curry, paneer butter masala, navratan korma, palak paneer, simple dal tadka, paneer tikka masala or even with dal fry.
This is one of the most after sought rice dishes in our home especially when we have heavy sides like chicken butter masala or chicken tikka masala or even for dal makhani. Cumin / jeera helps to digest the foods better, so it is ideal to make it when planned for a heavy meal.
In this post I am sharing 2 methods of making jeera rice. In the first method, rice and jeera are cooked together along with spices. In the second method, rice is cooked first and then seasoned with cumin, spices and butter. This method is often followed in the restaurants.
Method 1 – For method 2 please scroll down to the step by step section.
Simple Jeera rice or jeera pulao recipe
Jeera rice recipe | How to make jeera rice (jeera pulao) | Cumin rice
Indian Jeera rice is a one pot rice dish made with cumin or jeera & other basic spices. The rice turns out to be aromatic and pairs very well with any Indian veg or non-veg curry or gravy dish. It can also be served with a dal curry.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for jeera rice recipe
- 2 cups basmati rice or any rice (aged)
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 2 to 3 green chili slit and deseeded
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 ½ cups water (adjust if needed)
- 3 tsps Jeera or cumin (adjust if desired)
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 4 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 2 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 6 cloves or laung
- 1 strand mace or javitri (optional)
- Salt as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for jeera rice recipe
Wash rice until the water runs clear, Then soak in lot of water for at least 20 to 30 mins.
Drain it completely in a colander after 30 mins. Slice onions and chilies.
How to make jeera rice
- Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker or a pot.
Saute bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms and mace until they begin to sizzle. Fry jeera on a low flame until a nice aroma comes out. Add green chilli.
Optional - Add sliced onions & fry until they turn golden.
Transfer drained rice to the cooker and roast for 2 to 3 mins. This helps to bring out the aroma of the rice.
Pour 3 ½ cups water and add salt. Stir well and taste the water. It must be slightly salty.
Bring water to a boil on a high flame.
- Making Jeera rice in pot - Cook on a medium heat until the water is absorbed. When the rice is still soggy, cover and cook until done.
Making Jeera rice in pressure cooker - Cover the pressure cooker with a lid. Cook on a high heat for 1 whistle.
When the pressure goes off. Open the lid and fluff up jeera rice with a fork. Serve with any curry.
Video of jeera rice recipe
Notes for jeera rice recipe
You can also make this dish just by sauteing the spices in butter and then mixing with the cooked salted rice.
For more details please check method 2 in step by step photos.
Preparation for jeera rice recipe or jeera pulao
1. Wash basmathi rice until clear and soak it for at least 20 mins. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Saute bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, mace and jeera on a medium to low flame until jeera begins to smell good. You can also skip all the spices and just use jeera.
3. Add thinly sliced onions, slit and deseeded green chilies. You can also skip onions. Some people also use red chilli. If you like you can deseed and use them now.
4. Saute until the onions turn golden. I fry a little more than you see in the picture.
How to make jeera rice recipe
5. Add rice.
6. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
7. Pour water. Then add in salt and stir. Taste the water and adjust salt as needed.
8. Cover and pressure cook on a high flame for 1 whistle. Or cook on a medium flame until the water is almost absorbed. When there is very little water left, cover and cook for just 5 mins on a low flame. Switch off before it whistles if making in cooker. You can follow the same method to make it in pot.
9. When the pressure goes off, open the lid.
10. Fluff up gently . you can also add a bit more of ghee if desired.
Method 2 – Jeera rice recipe
This method is more flavorful with the aroma of butter and cumin. This is good to make for occasions or when you have guests home since a good amount of butter goes into this.
1. Cook rice with salt to grainy and set aside to cool.
2. Add 1 tbsp butter to a hot pan.
3. Next add star anise, mace, cloves, cinnamon, cardamon, bay leaf and green chili. Saute for 1 to 2 mins.
4. Lower the heat, add jeera.
5. Saute until you begin to smell them good. It takes around 2 to 3 mins. Switch off the stove.
How to make jeera rice recipe
6. Add 1 tbsp more of butter along with finely chopped coriander leaves. If your rice isn’t got enough salt you can add a bit more to the pan.
7. Then add it to the rice. Mix gently. Make sure the rice is cooled completely before mixing it.
Serve with any gravy.