mushroom cutlet or mushroom tikki recipe. My family loves cutlets, and i too love them since they are easy to prepare especially the tawa fried or baked cutlets. just mix the ingredients, make patties and fry or bake them while you do your other kitchen chores.
Apart from enjoying these as a tea time snack, they can be eaten as a side with rasam and rice. This is my most preferred way of serving cutlets to kids. This way the meal seems more interesting to them.
Mushrooms can be used to prepare a variety of dishes like pulao, masala gravy, simple dry curry, yogurt based korma or pakodas. Today’s mushroom snack can be baked in an oven or deep fried too. The patties need to be brushed with oil thoroughly if you desire to bake them else would be very dry. However the deep fried ones are more flavourful and tasty. Whether deep fried or oven baked, they turn out to be crispy and delicious.
This time i used potatoes for binding and used chickpeas flour / gram flour (besan) too. Mushroom cutlet almost tastes like the south Indian aloo bonda due to the addition of potatoes and besan. If you like to skip either potato or gram flour, you can very well skip one of them but grind the basic ingredients coarsely and then mix the gram flour for binding.
Mushroom cutlet recipe below
Mushroom cutlet recipe | Mushroom tikki recipe | mushroom patties
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced (do not make them too thin)
- 1 cup onions thinly sliced
- 1 potato large, boiled and crumbled
- 4 to 6 tbsp besan or chickpeas flour (do not use much it is meant for binding only, otherwise it tastes more floury)
- 1 handful mint and coriander leaves chopped
- 4 green chilies chopped
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 to 1 ¼ cup cornflakes or bread crumbs
- oil for deep frying
How to make the recipe
- If using cornflakes, pulse them coarsely and set aside.
- Mix mushrooms, onions, potatoes, chilies, mint, masala powder, salt, turmeric & ginger garlic paste. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Heat the oil in a deep fry pan.
- Meanwhile mix chickpeas flour to the ready mushroom mix from step 2.
- Grease your palms and make thin patties and roll them in the bread crumbs or cornflakes that have been set aside from step 1. You can make these and set them aside
- Once the oil is hot, reduce the flame to medium high and fry on both the sides till they turn golden. If you fry them in smoky hot oil or on high flame the cutlets will turn brown faster and the inner part will taste floury and not be cooked well.
- Serve mushroom cutlet hot with your favorite soup or ketchup or cup of tea.