Mushroom dum biryani recipe – Learn to make delicious, flavorful and easy dum style kalan biryani with instant biryani masala powder. This recipe is different from the simple mushroom biryani I shared earlier. But then this one too is very easy and can be made under 45 minutes. I have also shared an instant biryani masala powder just enough to make this biryani. You can easily double the recipe including the spice powder.
Mushroom dum biryani recipe
Mushroom dum biryani recipe | How to make mushroom dum biryani recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 ½ cups basmathi rice
- ½ cup yogurt / curd
- ¼ cup green peas fresh or frozen
- 1 onion medium , sliced thinly
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp shahi jeera for rice
- 1 ½ tbsps mint / pudina, Chopped
- 1 ½ tbsps coriander leaves Chopped
- 1 ½ tsps Ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili slit
- 3 tbsps Oil or ghee
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 1 Pinch Saffron soaked in 2 tbsps. Hot milk (optional)
- 4 green cardamoms
- ½ tsp stone flower / dagad phool / kalpasi
- ½ tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick Small
- 1 pinch nutmeg , grated or small piece (don’t add to much)
- 5 cloves
- pepper corn Few , or powder
How to make the recipe
- Please follow the instructions from step by step photos
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make mushroom dum biryani recipe
1. Wash rice and soak in water for 30 mins. Drain and cook the rice in a large pot with 6 to 8 cups of boiling water until al dente or 90% cooked. Drain the rice to a colander. You can also cook the rice with bay leaf and half tsp shahi jeera.
2. Add the dry spices mentioned under to powder to a blender jar and powder them finely. Set this side.
3. Heat a pot with oil and fry onions till golden. Set these aside in a plate.
4. To the same pot, add dry spices and fry till they begin to sizzle. Saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
5. Add mushrooms and peas (or potato), pudina and green chilli.
6. Fry for one to two minutes. Add red chili powder and biryani masala that we made at step 1. Mix and fry just for another minutes.
7. Pour yogurt and cook for just two minutes.
8. Add few fried onions,I forgot to add bay leaf with spices, so added it now. Check the spice levels and biryani flavors now. Adjust the salt as well.
9. Layer basmati rice that is cooked al dente. Add rest of the fried onions and few coriander and mint leaves. If you wish you can use a pinch of saffron soaked in one tbsp. hot milk.
10. Cover with a tight lid. You can also use foil to seal the pot. Then place the lid. Place it on a hot tawa and cook for 20 minutes on a medium heat. Off the stove and Pour one tbsp. melted ghee over the rice. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
Serve mushroom dum biryani with your favorite raita.