Mushroom masala is a delicious Indian curry made with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, spices & herbs. This mushroom masala is one of the best I have been making at home for our regular meals. It is quite simple to make & tastes delicious. We love the restaurant style dishes with smooth & rich gravy that are flavor packed.
This mushroom masala is one such dish which is loved each time in my home without getting bored.
Mushrooms are not a common veggie in the traditional Indian cuisine yet they are used to prepare a variety of dishes like mushroom biryani, mushroom pulao, curries & mushroom stir fry recipes.
Indian cuisine is by far diverse and each dish is made in numerous ways depending on the region. Most days I cook 3 meals a day.
This gives me the chance to experiment a lot with different dishes. I make this mushroom masala in more than 1 way.
In this post I have shared 2 different methods or recipes to make mushroom masala curry.
The first method is very simple to make and has a curry base like the paneer masala. It is moderately spicy, tasty and goes well with any kind of rice.
The second mushroom curry recipe is a home style one, made similar to the hyderabadi salan with roasted peanuts & sesame seeds (optional).
This recipe has a unique nutty flavor due to the addition of roasted peanuts.
In this recipe I have also used bell peppers which enhance the flavor & nutrition of the entire dish.
This one too can be served with rice, roti or even with bread. You can find the second recipe towards the end of this post.
1.Boil 2 cups of water in a pot. Add onions and boil them for 3 to 4 mins until transparent. Drain the water and add them to the blender. This step is done to remove the raw smell & bitter taste from the onions.
2. Add ¾ cup tomatoes, ½ inch ginger, 2 garlic cloves and 6 to 8 almonds or cashews to a blender jar. You can also replace ginger garlic with 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste.
3. Puree them to a fine paste without adding water.
How to make mushroom masala gravy or curry
4. Heat a pan with 1.5 tbsp oil, add a small piece of bay leaf, 2 green cardamoms and 1 small cinnamon stick. Saute until they sizzle.
5. Pour the onion tomato puree. Be careful the mixture may begin to splash. Cover partially and continue to cook until the mixture thickens.
6. Add ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder, ½ to ¾ light garam masala and coriander powder (optional).
7. Saute until the mixture turns aromatic and begins to leave the sides. You may not see oil separated as we did not use much here.
8. Add 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms and then sprinkle salt. (you can refer method 2 for preparing mushrooms).
9. Saute for 2 mins.
10. Add ½ to ¾ cup water and make a thick gravy. Adjust the quantity of water slightly as it depends on how much moisture the mushrooms release.
11. Cover and cook until the gravy thickens and mushrooms are cooked. Do not overcook as they turn rubbery. Sprinkle ¼ tsp kasuri methi.
Cover and switch off the stove. At this stage you can also add few tbsps of cream if you like.
Serve mushroom gravy hot with rice, roti or jeera rice.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for mushroom masala
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms sliced
- ¾ cup onions cubed (1 large) (blanched if desired)
- ¾ cup tomatoes cubed (2 large)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (lahsun) chopped
- 10 cashewnuts or almonds
- 1½ tablespoons oil or butter
- 1 small bay leaf or 10 curry leaves
- 2 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon piece (dalchini)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder or smoked paprika
- ½ to 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ to 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon kasuri methi (optional)(dried fenugreek leaves)
- ¼ teaspoon salt or as needed
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (cilantro) chopped finely
- 2 to 3 tbsp cream (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for mushroom masala gravy
- Rinse well 1 large onion & 2 large tomatoes. Cube them. Chop ½ inch ginger and 2 garlic cloves.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add onions. Boil them until transparent for about 3 to 4 mins. Drain them and cool down.
- Add onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and 10 cashews or almonds to a blender jar.
- Make a fine paste and set aside. Ensure the paste is smooth and not coarse.
How to make mushroom masala
- Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in a pan.
- Then saute 1 small bay leaf or 10 curry leaves, 1 inch cinnamon and 2 green cardamoms for a minute.
- Pour the onion tomato puree and cook covered until the mixture thickens.
- Keep stirring often while frying.
- Then add ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder, ½ to 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional) and ½ to 1 tsp garam masala.
- Saute on a low heat until the mixture turns fragrant and leaves the sides of the pan.
- While the mixture cooks, rinse and slice the mushrooms.
- When the onion tomato masala leaves the sides of the pan. add sliced mushrooms and salt.
- Saute for 2 to 3 mins until the flavor of mushrooms come out.
- Next pour water as needed to make a thick gravy.
- Cook until the mushrooms turn tender to suit your liking.
- Bring the mushroom gravy to a desired consistency by adding more water if needed.
- Sprinkle kasuri methi. Cover and Turn off the stove.
- You can also add few tbsps of cream and coriander leaves.
- Mix and serve mushroom masala hot with basmati rice or roti.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
Recipe 2 – How to make mushroom masala recipe
This is a home style recipe, very simple to make and has a curry base like the Hyderabadi mirchi ka salan. To make the gravy thick you can use either peanut powder or cashew paste.
Both taste good and impart different flavors to the curry. I used peanut powder for a change and loved it.
1 ½ cups sliced white button mushrooms
½ cup capsicums cubed (optional)
¾ cup of chopped onions
1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes or tomato puree
1 sprig curry leaves or bay leaf
¼ tsp cumin seeds or small cinnamon, 2 cardamom
1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
¾ tsp red chili powder
½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
1 tsp kasuri methi (optional)
2 tbsp. Oil
Salt to taste
Pinch of turmeric
2 tbsp. roasted Peanuts or 10 cashew nuts or almonds
1 tbsp. roasted Sesame seeds (optional)
1 tbsp. Desiccated coconut (optional)
Making mushroom gravy
1. Add oil to a pan and heat, saute mushrooms until a nicea roma comes out. Set aside. Saute capsicums too if using. Set them aside as well. To the same pan, add the dry spices.
When they splutter, add green chili, onions and fry till golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
2. Add tomatoes or tomato puree, salt and turmeric. If using tomatoes, fry till they turn mushy. If using puree , cook till it thickens and the raw smell disappears.
3. Add cashew paste or peanut coconut powder. If using cashew paste, fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Pour water and mix well. Bring it to a boil. When the gravy thickens, add mushrooms.
5. After the mushrooms are half cooked, add capsicums.
6. Add kasuri methi, garam masala. Mix and cook just until the mushrooms are cooked. Do not over cook.
Mushroom masala gravy is ready to serve with roti, paratha or biryani.