Tomato biryani recipe – Simple one pot biryani recipe made with tomatoes. This quick dish can be made easily on a busy day for dinner and it also goes well in the lunch box. It is best served with a simple raita. I have used some carrot,peas and beans which is totally optional. I have used it here just to add some nutrition. You can also replace the veggies with some soya chunks.
This can be made in a pressure cooker or in a pot or even in a electric rice cooker. I have shared tips in the step by step method on how to make this in the electric rice cooker (step 11). To simplify the recipe further, just skip the mix veggies and use only tomatoes and peas. This will save some time.
Tomato biryani recipe
Tomato biryani recipe | How to make tomato biryani recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups rice (basmati or sona masuri)
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 green chili slit (skip for kids)
- 2 cups tomatoes or 1 1/4 cup puree
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots (optional)
- 3/4 cup beans (optional)
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp red chili powder
- 3/4 tsp biryani masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder / daniya powder
- 1/2 cup mint / pudina chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander / daniya patta
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 1/4 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp saunf powder (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 1 star anise / chakra phool
- 2 inch cinnamon sticks 2 no / dalchini
- 3/4 tsp shahi jeera
- 1 strand mace / javitri
- 4 green cardamoms / choti elaichi
- 6 cloves / laung
- Wash and soak rice in ample water for about 30 mins. While the rice soaks, puree the tomatoes and chop the veggies.
- Clean and chop mint and coriander leaves.
- Drain the rice after 30 minutes.
Making tomato biryani
- Heat oil in a pot or cooker. Fry the spices for a minute.
- Fry the onions until golden. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Time to add in chili powder, biryani masala powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Add in the veggies and cook for another 3 mins or until the puree thickens.
- Add drained rice and saute for 2 to 3 mins. Pour water and add salt.
- Bring it to a boil on high flame. When the water comes to a boil, lower the flame to medium and cook until the water evaporates completely. Cover and simmer the stove. Cook for 5 mins.
- If making in pressure cooker, then cover it immediately when the water comes to a boil. Cook for 1 whistle on a medium high flame.
- When the pressure goes down open the lid and fluff up the rice.
- Serve tomato biryani with raita.
How to make tomato biryani recipe
1. Wash and soak rice for about 30 mins. Drain the rice to a colander. Puree the tomatoes. You can also use them chopped. Since my kids do not like the tomato skin & pulp, I have pureed them.
2. These are the spices we will need for this biryani. Reduce the quantity of cinnamon if not using true cinnamon.
3. As I mentioned before, you can make this biryani just with tomatoes, onions and peas. You can also use some soya chunks here.
4. Add oil in a heavy bottom pot or pressure cooker and heat it. Saute the spices until the shahi jeera begins to crackle.
5. Add onion slices and green chilies.
6. When the onions turn golden, add the ginger garlic paste. If you are in a hurry you can just fry them till they turn pink.
7. Saute the ginger garlic until the raw smell goes off.
8. Pour the tomato puree. Cook for 2 to 3 mins. Tomato puree splashes, so keep it partially covered.
9. Add mint, coriander leaves, red chilli powder, biryani masala or garam masala and coriander powder. You can also add in turmeric.
10. Cook until the puree thickens and oil begins to separate.
11. Add the veggies and saute for 2 to 3 mins or until the mixture thickens further. If you like to make this in a electric rice cooker, you can further transfer this to a electric cooker pot and add rice, water and cook the same way you would make your regular rice in it.
12. Add the drained rice. Saute on a high flame for 2 to 3 mins.
13. Pour water and bring it to a boil on a high heat.
14. Check salt and adjust if needed.
15. If making in pressure cooker, when the water comes to a boil cover and cook for 1 whistle on a medium high flame. If making in a pot, cover the pot partially and cook until the entire water evaporates. Stir in between. The last 5 minutes cover the pot completely and cook on a medium flame.
16. When done fluff up the rice. If made in pressure cooker, open the lid when the pressure releases.
Serve tomato biryani with onion raita.