Oats porridge, how to make oats porridge. oats porridge can be made in 2 ways. One is to make using milk, you can check the recipe of milk oats porridge here. This oats porridge recipe uses vegetables to enhance the nutrition and it tastes delicious and so good. Best for those who like to avoid sugar or milk in porridge.
History says that in the earlier days oats were grown in the Northern parts of India, i.e Himachal pradesh. But they have never been used much in Indian cuisine until research has proved it to benefit us. In the past decade, many folks in India have begun to use them in various recipes.
To make oats porridge, you can make it in a open pan, pressure cooker or a porridge cooker. In what ever way you make this recipe works great. Cooking oats in an open pan could be a hassle if you are running short of time and can opt to pressure cook. This is one of the quickest breakfast recipes and is convenient for those who do not like to monitor while the oats cook. It tastes better than the one that is cooked in an open pan. But make sure to pressure cook on a low flame else it might burn the oats.
To make vegetable oats porridge I add few chopped carrots, potatoes and green peas to make it tasty and must say potato is the real contributor to the taste. The aroma of veggies is truly great in this Vegetable oats porridge.
This oats porridge can also be served to babies and toddlers, just puree the porridge when cooled completely. you will get a wonderful texture.
How to make oats porridge recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash and chop desired veggies.
2. Dry roast oats in the pan or pressure cooker till you get a nice aroma. This step is optional. The porridge turns less sticky when you roast them.
3. Add chopped veggies.
4. Pour water, add salt and pepper and cook till vegetables are soft cooked. If cooking in a pressure cooker, cook for one whistle.
5. Optional step. You can add your favorite spices or herbs for flavoring. To make Indian tadka seasoning, heat butter/ghee in a small pan and add cumin, mustard, hing and curry leaves. when they begin to splutter add this to the porridge. Mix and serve.
Find oats porridge recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup carrot (cubed)
- ½ cup potato (cubed)
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Salt to taste taste
- 1.5 cups Water (adjust as per your oats, depends on the brand)
- Seasoning ingredients , (optional) or any favorite seasoning spices
- 1 tbsp butter /ghee/oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 pinch hing
How to make the recipe
- Dry roast oats in a pan, add vegetables and toss. This is done to bring out the aroma of oats and make the porridge less sticky.
- Add salt, pepper, 1.5 cups of water and cook on a medium flame , stirring occasionally
- Heat butter/ oil/ ghee, season with mustard, jeera and curry leaves.
- Add this to the cooked oats porridge , mix well and serve