Oats porridge recipe – Learn how to make vegetable oats porridge. Oats porridge can be made in 2 ways. One is to make using milk, you can check the recipe of milk oats here. This oats porridge recipe is a favorite at home & is made very often for our breakfast. It is super quick to make, tastes delicious and is healthy as well.
This recipe uses vegetables to enhance the nutrition and it tastes so good. This porridge is best for those who like to avoid sugar or milk in porridge.
You can make this oats porridge in a pot, traditional pressure cooker or even in a instant pot. What ever you use this recipe works great.
I use carrots, potatoes & peas to make this porridge. Feel free to use your favorite veggies. But ensure you like the flavor of the veggies you use.
This oats porridge can also be served to babies and toddlers, just puree the porridge when cooled completely. You will get a wonderful texture.
Oats porridge recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup carrot (cubed)
- ½ cup potato (cubed to half inch pieces)
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- .25 tsp Salt to taste taste
- 1.5 cups Water (adjust as per your oats, depends on the brand)
Seasoning ingredients , (optional) or any favorite seasoning spices
- 1 tsp butter /ghee/oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 pinch hing
How to make the recipe
How to make oats porridge
- Dry roast oats in a pan just for 2 mins. Then add vegetables and toss. This is done to bring out the aroma of oats and make the porridge less sticky.
- Add salt, pepper, 1.5 cups of water and cook on a medium flame , stirring occasionally.
- If needed pour more water and cook until the veggies are soft cooked.
- Heat butter/ oil/ ghee. Then add mustard, jeera and curry leaves.
- Allow the mustard to splutter.
- Add this to the cooked oats porridge , mix well and serve.
- Squeeze some lemon juice before serving.
How to make oats porridge recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash and chop desired veggies.
2. Dry roast oats in the pan or pressure cooker till you get a nice aroma. This step is optional. The porridge turns less sticky when you roast them.
3. Add chopped veggies.
4. Pour water, add salt and pepper and cook till vegetables are soft cooked. If cooking in a pressure cooker, cook for one whistle.
5. Optional step. You can add your favorite spices or herbs for flavoring. To make Indian tadka seasoning, heat butter/ghee in a small pan and add cumin, mustard, hing and curry leaves. when they begin to splutter add this to the porridge. Mix and serve.