Chicken fry recipe with video and step by step photos. Making this crisp fried chicken snack is very very simple and quick These are good to make anytime and is absolutely a winner when you have friends or guests home. I am sure you will be left with many appreciations. There are so many ways a chicken fry is made but this one is the simplest made with basic ingredients. This chicken fry recipe yields chicken bites that are crisp from outside and soft and juicy inside.
There is no egg used in this recipe. Curd tenderizes the chicken, keeps it juicy and prevents it from turning hard. This chicken fry is best served hot but keeps crisp for about 30 minutes. You can also prepare them ahead and crisp them in a electric oven.
Video of crispy chicken fry recipe
Chicken fry recipe
Chicken fry recipe | How to make crispy chicken fry | Chicken snacks
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 200 Grams chicken (boneless cubes)
- ¾ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ to 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp pepper powder
- 10 curry leaves (chopped or replace with any herbs)
- ¼ to ½ tsp salt (i used 1/2 tsp)
- 2 tbsp yogurt (thick curd or dahi)
- 3 tbsp corn flour (corn starch)
- oil for deep frying
How to make the recipe
- Cube the chicken to bite sized pieces. Add them to a bowl.
- Add ginger garlic paste, salt, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder and curry leaves.
- Add thick curd and corn flour. Mix everything well. Make sure you use thick curd otherwise you will need to add more corn flour.
- The batter must be thick and not runny.
- Cover and set aside for 2 hours. First one hour in the fridge and the next one hour at room temperature.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai. To check if the oil is hot, drop a small amount of batter in the oil, it has to rise steadily.
- Regulate the flame to medium high.
- Drop the chicken cubes one after the other using a fork or spoon.
- Do not disturb for a minute, then stir them gently using a spatula.
- Fry until golden and crisp.
- Drain them to a kitchen tissue and make sure the chicken is cooked completely.
- If it is still undone, fry them for a while again.
- Serve chicken fry hot as a snack with your favorite dip.
Many readers ask me if I wash the chicken before cooking as there are many contradictory write ups on the web. So thought of sharing what I actually do. Yes I do wash the chicken well under running water and drain completely. I sanitize the sink area with disinfectant after I finish washing to avoid contamination.
How to make chicken fry recipe
1. Add chicken cubes to a mixing bowl. I cubed them to one by one inch size.
2. Add garlic ginger paste, garam masala, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, pepper powder,curd and curry leaves. You can substitute curry leaves with any of your favorite herbs like mint.
3. Add corn flour. To substitute corn flour you can try with rice flour and plain flour in equal quantities.
4. Mix everything well.
5. Cover and rest for 2 hours. I usually put for 1 hour in the fridge and 1 hour at room temperature. You can also rest it overnight in fridge.
6. After the resting time, the marinade turns very thick as the corn starch absorbs moisture. If needed you can sprinkle 1 tbsp water and mix it well. Do not add a lot otherwise the chicken will not be crispy.
7. Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, check by dropping a little amount of the batter to the oil. It has to rise and not sink.
8. Drop chicken cubes one by one with a spoon or fork. Make sure the pieces are coated well with batter.
9. The oil will bubble up a lot. Fry on a medium heat. Do not disturb the pieces for 1 minute else the batter may come off the chicken.
10. Keep stirring and fry until golden and crisp. When the chicken is cooked completely you will see that the bubbles in the oil reduce.
11. Remove them to a kitchen tissue.
Serve chicken fry with fresh cut onion and lemon slices.