Paneer palak bhurji is a very simple dish made with Indian spinach and paneer. It is mildly spiced and does not use onion or tomatoes. Paneer palak bhurji goes very well with roti, paratha or even with bread. It’s a kids’ friendly recipe and can also be served to toddlers.
I make this often along with roti for my kids’ school box. Sometimes I also use it as a stuffing in Sandwiches or Kathi rolls.
You can make variations to this by adding peas, capsicum or even carrots. I often make the Paneer bhurji with mild spices and heat. So this one too is not a spicy version. You can also use onions and tomatoes in the recipe if you prefer.
I prefer using homemade paneer for any bhurji dishes as it tastes soft and fresh. In the step by step photo section I have also shared how to make paneer good enough for this recipe. You can also use store bought paneer. Just crumble it and use here.
Paneer palak bhurji
Paneer palak bhurji recipe | How to make paneer palak bhurji
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup paneer crumbled or Indian cottage cheese
- 1 cup palak or Indian spinach finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or ½ tsp amchur powder
- 1 tsp ginger grated or ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chili slit or chopped (skip for kids)
- ½ tsp garam masala or coriander and cumin powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 green cardamom
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
How to make the recipe
- Pluck palak and rinse them in a large pot of water. I usually spray vinegar on the leaves first. Leave for 10 mins and then rinse them in a large pot. Repeat the rinse thrice.
- Drain them completely. Chop finely and set aside.
- Crumble the paneer and set aside. To make homemade paneer follow the instructions in step by step photos.
Making paneer palak bhurji
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin and cardamom and sauté till you get an aroma.
- Add green chili and crushed ginger. Fry till the ginger begins to emit a nice smell
- Next add chopped palak and turmeric.
- Saute till the spinach wilts off, takes only 2 to 3 mins.
- Add salt, garam masala, kasuri methi and amchur.
- Then add crumbled paneer. Mix well
- Cover and cook for 2 mins until the paneer turns hot.
- Serve paneer palak bhurji with rice or roti.
Making paneer for paneer palak bhurji
Skip this step if using ready paneer. I usually make the paneer the previous night while we eat the dinner. It finishes quickly.
1. Bring 3 to 4 cups of milk to a boil.
2. When the milk is hot then pour lemon juice or vinegar. Stir well. You can also use curd to curdle the milk.
3. As soon as you see the milk begins to curdle, turn off the stove. Quickly pour ice cold water to stop the paneer cooking. This helps to keep the paner soft.
4. Drain it off to a muslin cloth lined over a colander. I did not rinse it as lemon flavor in paneer is just fine for this recipe.
5. Hang it for about 45 mins.
Make paneer palak bhurji
6. Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin. when it splutters, add ginger and slit green chilli.
7. Add palak and stir fry just for a few minutes until the spinach wilts off. Add kasuri methi is using.
8. Then add paneer, sprinkle turmeric, garam masala, amchur and salt.
9. Give a good mix and cook just for a minute or 2.
Paneer palak bhurji is ready to serve with roti, chapati or bread.