pesara punukulu or pesara punugulu are made using green gram. These are deep fried fritters that are tasty.
Andhra punugulu are often made with idli dosa batter and it is a popular street food in the coastal regions of Andhra Pradesh. Today’s pesara punukulu is a similar one made using green gram (whole moong).
These are crispy, very tasty and can be made on any festive occasions or as an evening snack. These are very easy to make when compared to the garelu or boorelu .
During the festivals, If you are in a hurry and do not have much time to soak the dal to make medu vada , you can go ahead using moong dal (pesara pappu), soak it in warm water for at least 1 hour and proceed. This tastes different but still good.
Do try pesara punugulu for ugadi, if you are unable to make Garelu, you will love these. Serve hot if you want them to be crispy.
you can find the recipe of pesara punugulu or pesara punukulu below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup green gram or moong dal (pesara pappu)
- 1/2 inch ginger
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 to 4 green chilies
- 1 Fistful coriander leaves chopped finely or curry leaves chopped
- 1 onion , large , chopped small
- Salt to taste
How to make the recipe
- Wash and soak green gram for at least 4 to 6 hrs. If using pesara pappu just soak for one hour.
- Drain the water and grind it to a smooth batter with salt and very little water, as little as 1 to 2 tbsps. The batter must be thick, thicker than the pesarratu consistency. Refer the pic, if the batter is runny, it will absorb oil.
- Add chili, onions, cumin, leaves and adjust the salt. Mix well
- Heat oil, reduce the flame to medium, wait for a min, take small portions of this batter, make balls and drop them in the oil. Be careful they tend to get burnt faster and the inner part remains uncooked, so do not drop in very hot oil.
- Keep stirring and fry till golden and evenly fried.
- Make small batches and fry till your entire batter finishes.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.