Brown rice upma recipe – This brown rice upma is different from the arisi upma or rice upma that is made in South India. But this one too is a super easy one and is good to have for lunch or dinner. Loaded with veggies and high fiber brown rice makes it suitable to all including diabetics.
I suggest making this upma at least 30 minutes ahead of your meal, resting it for a while gives a better texture. It can be served with a chutney or any podi. To make this upma, you can make the rice rava ahead and store it in a jar.
How to make brown rice upma recipe
1. Wash and soak brown rice for an hour. Drain in a colander. When the water drains completely, Spread it on a cloth and allow to dry. You can fan dry or sun dry the rice.Dry roast on a pan till crunchy. Cool and pulse it coarsely to make rice rava. Store this in a jar and use when ever needed.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, mustard, chopped ginger and curry leaves.
3. When you begin to smell the ginger good, add all the chopped veggies and chilli. I used potato , you can skip if that doesn’t fit your diet. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add water, salt. Taste the water to check if there is enough salt. I prefer to use turmeric as well to give a better color to the upma.
5. When the water begins to boil, pour the rava stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
6. Cook on a low flame until all the water is evaporated.
7. Cover and cook for a while.
Brown rice upma is ready.
Brown rice upma recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- turmeric little (optional)
- ginger chopped or grated as needed
- 1 green chili
- 1½ cups mixed vegetable (carrot, peas, potatoes, capsicum)
- salt as needed
How to make the recipe
- Clean, wash and soak rice for 1 hour. Drain completely and dry them on a cloth. Dry roast till crunchy in a heavy bottom pan.
- Cool and make the rava in a blender.
- Heat a pot with oil, allow mustard and cumin to splutter. Add ginger and curry leaves.
- When ginger begins to smell good, fry the veggies for 3 minutes.
- Pour water and add salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, pour the rava slowly while stirring the water to avoid lumps.
- Cook on a low flame till the water dries up.
- Cover and cook for while till the upma is done.
- Allow to rest for a while and fluff up.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.