Oats scrambled eggs. A quick breakfast recipe made with oats and scrambled eggs under 15 mins. This recipe is great for those who wish to eat healthy as well nutrient rich breakfast.
I have used mixed vegetables to add nutrition and volume to the dish, you can skip them if you do not have. I have used quick oats, but i suggest using rolled oats if available.
I have made this a few times before with rolled oats and loved the texture more than the one made with quick cook oats.
This is not much of a recipe but just an idea, so you can tweak the recipe a bit to suit to your taste. You can also make this a masala egg oats by adding ginger garlic paste and garam masala especially if you do not like the flavor of scrambled eggs.
This is best served hot for breakfast or dinner. Due to the sticky nature of oats it doesn’t taste good when cooled down, so i highly suggest to serve it right away.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup oats (prefer rolled)
- 1 to 2 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 tsp ginger chopped or ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup vegetables fine chopped mix
- 1 pinch Turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsps Coriander leaves chopped finely
- ¼ tsp garam masala or pav bhaji masala
How to make the recipe
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Then add cumin and let it splutter.
- Next stir fry the onions, ginger and green chili until the onions turn golden.
- Next add the chopped vegetables and saute for a min.
- Cook covered until tender. If needed sprinkle some water to help them cook.
- Add in oats, salt and turmeric. If using rolled oats, add them to a colander and rinse under running water.
- Drain the water completely, then add to the pan.
- Fry for 2 mins. Then beat the egg until frothy and pour it to the pan.
- Sprinkle 3 to 4 tbsps of water if using quick oats. Avoid water if using rolled oats.
- Scramble the egg. Cook covered on a low flame until oats and egg are cooked well. Check salt and add more if desired.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Stir well and serve oats srambled eggs hot.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make oats scrambled eggs
1. Crackle cumin in hot oil. Saute onions, ginger and green chilies. If using ginger garlic paste , fry the onions until golden and then saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes away.
2. When the onions turn slightly golden or pink, then add mixed veggies. I used carrots, peas and corn. You can also use capsicum and beans. You can also skip the veggies.
3. Saute for a minute. Then cover and cook on a low flame until soft and tender. If needed you can also sprinkle little water and cook.
4. Add oats, salt, turmeric and garam masala (optional). I used quick cook oats. If using rolled oats, add them to a colander. Rinse them under running water. Drain completely. Then add to the pan.
5. Saute for 2 to 3 mins, they do not turn crunchy due to the moist veggies.
7. Mix everything well scrambling the egg.
6. Pour the egg to pan. If using quick oats, immediately sprinkle 3 to 4 tbsp water (about ¼ cup)evenly in the pan. Add more if it looks dry. You can also beat the egg and then add to the pan. Avoid sprinkling water if using rolled oats.
8. Cover and cook on a very low flame until the oats and egg are completely cooked. Just for 2 to 3 mins. Check by tasting little, oats must be soft now. If oats remain under cooked, you can also sprinkle little more water.
Sprinkle coriander leaves and lemon juice as needed. Lemon juice helps to remove the smell of egg, recommended for those new to eating eggs.