Oats Scrambled Eggs (Oats Bhurji)
Oats Scrambled Eggs. A quick breakfast recipe made with oats and scrambled eggs under 15 mins. This recipe is great for those who wish to eat healthy as well nutrient rich breakfast.
I have used mixed vegetables to add nutrition and volume to the dish, you can skip them if you do not have. I have used quick oats, but i suggest using rolled oats if available.
I have made this a few times before with rolled oats and loved the texture more than the one made with quick cook oats.
This is not much of a recipe but just an idea, so you can tweak the recipe a bit to suit to your taste. You can also make this a masala egg oats by adding ginger garlic paste and garam masala especially if you do not like the flavor of scrambled eggs.
This is best served hot for breakfast or dinner. Due to the sticky nature of oats it doesn’t taste good when cooled down, so i highly suggest to serve it right away.
More Oats recipes
How to Make Oats Scrambled Eggs
1. Crackle cumin in hot oil. Saute onions, ginger and green chilies. If using ginger garlic paste , fry the onions until golden and then saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes away.
2. When the onions turn slightly golden or pink, then add mixed veggies. I used carrots, peas and corn. You can also use capsicum and beans. You can also skip the veggies.
3. Saute for a minute. Then cover and cook on a low flame until soft and tender. If needed you can also sprinkle little water and cook.
4. Add oats, salt, turmeric and garam masala (optional). I used quick cook oats. If using rolled oats, add them to a colander. Rinse them under running water. Drain completely. Then add to the pan.
5. Saute for 2 to 3 mins, they do not turn crunchy due to the moist veggies.
6. Mix everything well scrambling the egg.
7. Pour the egg to pan. If using quick oats, immediately sprinkle 3 to 4 tbsp water (about ¼ cup)evenly in the pan. Add more if it looks dry. You can also beat the egg and then add to the pan. Avoid sprinkling water if using rolled oats.
8. Cover and cook on a very low flame until the oats and egg are completely cooked. Just for 2 to 3 mins. Check by tasting little, oats must be soft now. If oats remain under cooked, you can also sprinkle little more water.
Sprinkle coriander leaves and lemon juice as needed. Lemon juice helps to remove the smell of egg, recommended for those new to eating eggs.
Oats Scrambled Eggs
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup oats (prefer rolled)
- 1 to 2 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 tsp ginger chopped or ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup vegetables fine chopped mix
- 1 pinch Turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsps Coriander leaves chopped finely
- ¼ tsp garam masala or pav bhaji masala
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Then add cumin and let it splutter.
- Next stir fry the onions, ginger and green chili until the onions turn golden.
- Next add the chopped vegetables and saute for a min.
- Cook covered until tender. If needed sprinkle some water to help them cook.
- Add in oats, salt and turmeric. If using rolled oats, add them to a colander and rinse under running water.
- Drain the water completely, then add to the pan.
- Fry for 2 mins. Then beat the egg until frothy and pour it to the pan.
- Sprinkle 3 to 4 tbsps of water if using quick oats. Avoid water if using rolled oats.
- Scramble the egg. Cook covered on a low flame until oats and egg are cooked well. Check salt and add more if desired.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Stir well and serve oats srambled eggs hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
i have tried paneer butter masala recipe.. its simply superb.. thank u so much fr such a wnderful dish
Hav givn her peanut wit jaggery…my grandmother started scolding me tat it will supress her apetite…fried gram balls also maam..bt as we sud use lots of sugar in tat am not preparing nw..I ll try the rasin balls frm ur post maam..
yes try the raisin nut balls. To make peanut ladoo you can also use dates instead of sugar or jaggery. It is actually good to limit the kids snack to mid morning. Usually evening snacks cut down the amount of dinner kids can eat. But then it is hard to convince them. After school at 5 pm I usually serve my kids roti or paratha with large serving of veg curry and salads, all freshly made. Then at 7 pm 2 servings of fruits. Then at 8.30 milk and then sleep. Somehow my kids are doing well after i started this, no evening junk at snack time. The next morning they are super hungry for breakfast, since they would have eaten their last meal at 5 pm. So they eat well in the morning too. Sharing this thinking you may want to try this for your kids too.
Maam rolled oats brand….my daughter is good..n nw a days she wants to hav snacks n starts fighting wit my son fr tat,as she bites hm wn he denys he ll give wat evr he has…she is nt abl to chew properly…she has Biscuts on her own bt nw shes not liking..wants to hav mixture murukku n evrything tat my son eats n vomits evn the food she had b4…Cn u plz suggest some healthy N easy to digest snacks fr her??
quaker, bagrrys, red mill bob’s, binda valley’s are some of the brands that sell rolled oats in India. Not sure if they are available in all places. They are also labelled as old fashioned oats. You can check these healthy snacks
oats sesame ladoo
hara bhara kabab
moong dal tikki
oats egg omelette (use only grated carrots)
Thank u so Much maam..i ll also surely try this maam…evn fr us i think this time suites…thank u again maam..