Rolled oats moth bean recipe – Simple, quick, healthy and delicious protein packed recipe made with rolled oats, moth beans, spices, veggies and herbs. If you are into healthy eating and looking for a good rolled oats recipe, then this is a must try. This can be eaten anytime of the day for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
It is a balanced food that has good amount of protein from green gram or moth bean, vitamin C from lemon juice and goodness of the fresh veggies
To make this recipe, the ingredients to use are just approximations for you to get an idea. You can adjust the quantities to suit your taste.
This dish is one of my favorites and make it often whenever I have some soaked green gram, sprouts, chana or even moth beans.
Sometimes I run out of ideas to cook oats as we eat them so often. But this is one dish which can taste different each time if you change the legumes in the recipe.
Rolled oats: This recipe is best made with rolled oats as the quick cook oats turn soggy and sticky.
Green gram or moth beans : I make this recipe with both. The recipe works with any kind of cooked beans like rajma or chana. Just ensure you don’t cook the beans to a mushy texture.
The entire dish turns out grainy and non sticky. If you do not follow the recipe correctly you may end up with a mushy dish.
This dish is good to eat on its own without any side. But it goes very well with just a bowl of yogurt.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup soaked green gram or moth beans
- 1 onion small
- 1 red chili or green chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 ½ tsp oil or ghee
- 1 tsp grated coconut
- 2 tsp grated carrot
- 1 tsp coriander leaves chopped
- 1 Pinch mustard seeds
- 1 Pinch cumin
- ½ tsp ginger shredded
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- To go ahead with the rolled oats recipe, first soak matki or green gram for at least 3 to 6 hours.
- Cook matki or green gram with very little water and salt. It can be pressure cooked for 1 to 2 whistles.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard cumin, chili and curry leaves, ginger.
- Let the seeds splutter, increase the flame to high, add the matki along with any leftover stock. Just let it evaporate completely otherwise the dish can turn soggy.
- Add the rolled oats, turmeric and fry on a high flame for 2 mins.
- Cover and cook on a low heat till the oats is cooked. The moisture from matki or green gram will be enough for oats to cook. Off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice, carrot, coconut and coriander leaves, mix and serve.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes