Aloo sandwich recipe – Quick breakfast or evening snack made with bread and potatoes. These potato sandwiches also go well in the lunch box for kids. I rarely make sandwiches for the breakfast or kids school box since we make roti / paratha almost daily. But there are times when the school mornings are a mad rush especially after a long vacation or a weekend. I resort to these aloo grilled sandwich since there is not much to cook.
These can also be made on a tawa without using sandwich toaster or a grill. You can also use boiled green peas in this recipe. These taste very good even without sauce. But they are best served with green chutney.
Aloo sandwich recipe below
Aloo sandwich recipe | Potato sandwich recipe | Aloo bread sandwich
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread (prefer whole grain or meal bread)
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 potato large , about 1 cup cubed
- 1 tsp ghee hot or oil at room temperature.
- ½ tsp ginger grated
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 2 pinches garam masala
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves few finely chopped
- 1 green chili chopped (skip for kids)
- Lemon juice as desired or amchur powder (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Wash, peel and boil or steam potatoes until just done without making mushy.
- Mash the potatoes and add all the ingredients except butter.
- Mix them up well.
- Butter the bread on one side and heat the grill.
- Spread the aloo mixture on the side which is not buttered.
- Cover with another slice. Grill until done for 3 to 5 mins.
- Cut and serve aloo sandwich with green chutney or tomato sauce
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make grilled aloo sandwich recipe
1. Wash and peel potatoes. I prefer to quarter them and steam in a pressure cooker just until done. You can also do this in a electric rice cooker or pot. This takes about 7 to 10 minutes.
2. While the potatoes boil. Add 1 to 2 tsp ghee or oil to a bowl. I prefer to use hot ghee as it helps to bring out the aroma of the other ingredients used. Add grated ginger, green chili, coriander leaves, red chili powder, salt, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder.
3. Mix up everything. You can also add lemon juice or amchur now.
4. Add mashed potato.
5. Mix up everything well.
6. Smear softened butter or ghee on one side of the bread. I prefer ghee.
7. Flip the bread slices and spread the mixture.
8. Cover with another slice and smear butter or ghee.
9. Heat the sandwich griller and grill the sandwiches for 3 to 5 mins.
Cut aloo sandwiches to squares or triangles and serve.