Ragi semiya payasam recipe – Ragi is the South Indian name to red millets or finger millet. Semiya is vermicelli. This post shares a sweet recipe using finger millet vermicelli. Usually vermicelli is either made of rice or wheat flour but ragi semiya is made of finger millet flour and a small portion of wheat or rice flour.
As they are made of the whole grain flour, they are more nutritious. Ragi Semiya is available not only in Indian but also across the globe in most Indian Stores. One of the popular brands is the Anil Semiya which is available in mustafa center here in Singapore.
It can be used to make upma, lemon ragi semiya, curd bath .
Instead of making the usual Semiya payasam, you can try this Ragi Semiya Payasam. This is more nutritious, healthy & can be made in a jiffy.
You can serve this to your kids after school, they will love it. Even the person who dislikes ragi / finger millet will love this kheer. you can even prepare this almond milk or condensed milk too . All taste equally good.
Ragi semiya payasam recipe
Ragi semiya payasam recipe | Ragi semiya kheer | Ragi semiya recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup ragi semiya
- 2 cups milk
- 3 to 4 tbsp jaggery or organic sugar as needed
- 1 Pinch cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsps cashews to garnish
How to make the recipe
How to make ragi semiya payasam
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the cashews until golden. Set these aside.
- Roast ragi semiya in ghee just for 2 mins. This helps to prevent them from turning sticky.
- Pour hot milk to this and simmer for 5 mins or until they turn soft.
- Cooking time depends on the quantity of semiya. Do not overcook and do not stir vigorously, as they can become sticky.
- Add jaggery. Off the stove. Stir lightly for the jaggery to dissolve. Do not continue to cook otherwise the milk will curdle
- Garnish ragi semiya payasam with nuts.