Vegetable biryani or veg biryani recipe in pressure cooker – An one pot veg biryani recipe that is easy to make, if you have a homemade or ready made biriyani masala powder in hand. This veg biryani recipe yields a perfect light biriyani loaded with vegetables and mildly spiced. It only takes 30 minutes to prepare this aromatic rice. It makes a perfect meal for your hubby or kids lunch box.
To make this easy vegetable biryani in pressure cooker, we don’t need coconut, yogurt or tomato. If you have coconut milk you can use it instead of water. I just use a tbsp. of lemon juice for slight tang. You can use your favorite ingredients like soya chunks, beans, cashews etc.
If you have the time and patience to make a elaborate dum biriyani, then you may try this delicious veg dum biryani. There is more preparation work and is time consuming. You may also like this restaurant style veg biryani.
I do make this pressure cooker veg biryani often since it doesn’t require much preparation. It is not time consuming and yet tastes good. It is flavorful on its own and can be served without any side dishes. But if you prefer you can serve with a simple sherva/ shorba,bagara baingan, mirchi ka salan or raita. You can find a collection of raita recipes here.
Veg biryani or vegetable biryani recipe
Vegetable biryani | Veg biryani recipe | How to make veg biryani recipe
Simple Indian veg biryani made with vegetables and basmathi rice in a pot or pressure cooker. This is not a authentic biryani but a quick version that will give you a delicious meal.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for veg biryani
- 1 ½ cup basmati rice (soaked for at least 10 mins)
- 1 potato cubed (aloo)
- 1 carrot chopped (gajar)
- ¼ cup green peas or matar
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Handful mint leaves or pudina
- Handful Coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 to 2 green chili (slit)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1 ½ to 2 tsp Biryani Masala Powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- 2 ½ cups water or thin coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp Oil (or ghee)
- 10 fried cashews or fried capsicum for garnish (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (or tej patta)
- 4 green cardamoms (or elaichi)
- 1 star anise (or chakri phool)
- 2 inch cinnamon (or dalchini)
- 6 cloves (or laung)
- ½ tsp shahi jeera or jeera or cumin
How to make the recipe
Preparation for vegetable biryani
- Soak rice for at least 10 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
Chop all the veggies and mint. Keep these aside as well.
How to make veg biryani
Add oil to a pressure cooker or pot and heat it.
Next add spices and fry till you get a nice aroma for one to 2 minutes.
Fry onions and green chilies until golden.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell has gone off.
Next put in all chopped vegetables and fry for about 2 minutes.
Add mint leaves, biryani masala and saute again for 2 more minutes.
Measure and pour water or coconut milk. Add salt and lemon juice.
Stir well and taste the water. If needed add more salt.
When the water begins to boil, add drained rice and mix.
Close the lid and let the cooker whistle once on a low flame. If cooking in a pot, cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked fully. Turn off the stove.
When the pressure goes down, open the lid and fluff up with a fork.
Serve veg biryani with raita.
Notes for veg biryani recipe
If rice is not cooked, just sprinkle some water and cover with a loose lid and cook for few more mins
If it becomes mushy, reduce the qty of water the next time you cook.
You can use store bought biryani masala powder. Using too much of masala powder can make your veg biryani bitter. So adjust the powder according to your taste.
How to make vegetable biryani in pressure cooker
1. Wash rice until water runs clear. Soak it till you begin to cook.
2. Heat a pressure cooker with oil. Add spices – cinnamon, star flower, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and shahi jeera. Saute for one to two minutes until they begin to crackle.
3. Add onions and slit green chilies. Fry them until golden.
4. Next add ginger garlic paste.
5. Again fry till the raw smell goes away.
Frying veggies for veg biryani
6. Transfer the vegetables. Saute on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 minutes. I have used potato, peas, onions, carrots and french beans. You can also add soya chunks if you like. To add soya chunks, soak them in hot water until soft. Squeeze up the water. Rinse a few times and squeeze them completely. Then add here.
7. Add mint leaves and biryani masala powder. I suggest using a good biriyani masala powder. You can also check this Biryani masala powder recipe.
8. Fry again for another 2 minutes.
9. Pour water and add salt. You can add lemon juice now or after cooking.
10. Stir well and bring the water to a rapid boil. Drain the water completely from rice and add it to the boiling pan of water.
Cooking veg biryani
11. On a medium flame cook till very little water is left. You can adjust the salt and biriyani masala powder here. Add little more masala powder, if your rice is very light in color. I had to add a bit more. Close the pressure cooker lid. Cook for about 5 minutes on a very low flame. Do not let the cooker whistle. Off the stove.
10. Or another method is to cover the pressure cooker immediately after adding rice. Cook on a low flame for one whistle.
11. When the pressure goes off, open the lid.
12. Lastly fluff up the vegetable biryani with a fork gently and add lemon juice if desired.
I garnished with fried capsicum and mint leaves. Serve veg biryani with raita.