Paneer biryani recipe, Learn to make paneer biryani with step by step photos. A variety of biryani is often made at home and one of these is this one made using paneer. I had been experimenting paneer biryani recipes for years and this is the one of them. This recipe is adapted from the chicken biryani i shared earlier. This can be made in oven as well.
To make paneer biryani, you can use store bought paneer from the frozen section. You can use any ready made garam masala or biryani masala or any homemade biryani or garam masala powders.
This paneer biryani recipe is made in kachi style of making hyderabadi biryani. In the kachi biryani method, meat or paneer is not cooked separately. Uncooked paneer is marinated and layered with partially cooked rice. Then dum cooked to yield a great tasting and flavorful paneer biryani.
As with any biryani, this one too tastes best when served with any raita. However a mint raita goes great with this dish.
This post was originally shared in 2012 and has been updated. Readers who have been following the earlier recipe can find it on this link of pakki paneer biryani recipe.
You can also find more biryani recipes here. Some of the popular biryani recipes on the blog are pressure cooker veg biryani, Restaurant style veg biryani, hyderabadi veg dum biryani, plain kuska biryani.
Hyderabadi paneer biryani recipe below
Paneer biryani recipe | How to make hyderabadi paneer dum biryani
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice aged
- 1 tsp oil for cooking rice
- ½ tsp Salt to taste
- 2 onions sliced thinly or 4 tbsp fried onions
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil for frying onions
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves or pudina chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
Marination for paneer biryani
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 ¼ cup paneer cubes
- ½ cup curd or dahi or yogurt
- 1 tsp biryani masala powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 green chili
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 4 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 black cardamom or badi elaichi
- 6 cloves or laung
- 3 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 1 strand mace or javitri
- 1 star anise or biryani flower
- ½ tsp shahi jeera or cumin or jeera
- 1 tsp kewra water or rose water (optional)
- 6 cubes paneer
- 8 cubes Capsicum or few cashew nuts
How to make the recipe
Prepration for paneer biryani
- Soak rice for at least 30 to 40 mins. Later drain to a colander.
- Add oil to a heavy bottom pan, fry onions till golden brown. Set these fried onions aside. Fry capsicums till they turn slightly soft. Fry few paneer cubes or cashew nuts as well. Set these aside.
- Marinate paneer with 2 tbsps fried onions and the marination ingredients. Set aside.
- Add 1 tsp oil to water and bring it to a rolling boil. Add the drained rice and cook till al dente. Meaning the rice grains have to be firm and not mushy but almost cooked. Drain off the rice to colander and set aside.
making paneer biryani
- Add the paneer marinade to the same heavy bottom pan used for frying golden onions.
- Layer the cooked rice over the paneer marinade. Level the rice. Add few more fried onions and mint and coriander leaves. Then sprinkle fried onions, capsicums, kewra or rose water.
- Seal it with a foil or a moist clean kitchen cloth. Place the lid over it. Meanwhile heat a old tawa or griddle.
- When it is hot, transfer the biryani pot or pan on the hot tawa. Cook for 5 minutes on a high flame and then for 10 minutes on a medium flame.
- Switch off the stove and leave it undisturbed for at least 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fried cashews or fried paneer, mint leaves and fried onions.
- Serve paneer biryani with raita.
How to make paneer biryani recipe
1. Wash rice and soak it for 15 to 20 minutes. Add oil to a pan and fry onions.
2. When they turn brown, set these aside.
3. This step is optional. If using capsicum or cashews, add them to the same pan and fry just for two to 3 minutes. If using cashews fry to golden. You can fry few paneer chunks till golden if you want to garnish with them like i did.
4. Soak saffron in little milk. set aside.
5. Marinate paneer with all the marination ingredients and set aside till the rice cooks.
6. Cook rice in 6 cups of water till al dente. Do not make it mushy.
7. Drain it off in a colander.
8. To a pan, add ghee or oil, transfer the paneer marinade to the pan.
9. Layer the rice and sprinkle fried onions, mint, coriander leaves, kewra or rose water and then saffron milk.
10. Add the capsicums or cashews. Cover it with a moist cloth or aluminum foil. Cover it with a lid. Place it on a hot tawa and cook for 5 minutes on a high flame and then for 10 minutes on a medium flame. Switch off the flame. Do not open the lid for another 15 minutes.